Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-03-2019, 11:35 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 11:26 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That's true that I don't have all of the facts. My assumption was based on the "nobody around" comment, and I was careful in my previous comment not to say they should "never" block a sidewalk (or a road, or whatever). You're right that it's very possible that this is one of the cases where they were absolutely justified in doing so, and I would be glad that they prevented imminent property damage or injury (or whatever the case may have been).
I don't disagree that it isn't ideal for them to be situated where they are.  I guess it felt you were being absolute about the situation.  Anyways, still doesn't hurt to bring it to the attention of the management to remind the officers to not block the rails and or walkways to the stations whenever possible.  This is a learning curve for everyone, police included..

In this case, if there is a valid explanation, it should be easy for WRPS to explain briefly.

If there isn’t, it should be easy for them to apologize and commit to treating pedestrian rights of way with more respect in the future, including appropriate officer training.

Not that different really from any other observation of the police. Imagine a video came out of two officers sitting on a suspect while another puts on handcuffs. Could be anything from outrageous police conduct to absolutely necessary depending on the circumstances, and no matter where it falls in the spectrum the force needs to be prepared to give an appropriate response both to the public and internally (ranging from firing and blacklisting the involved officers to commending them for handling the situation properly, depending on the specifics).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 07-03-2019, 01:33 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM