Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
danbrotherston Wrote:
Quote:I don't think that's their intention, I walked through, and asked if the station was open, they said, yes, it was, no problem, just walk around.  They weren't trying to block the station.

And if the police wanted to be in your face, constables are much more of a presence than a vehicle.

They aren't obtrusive, they're obstructive--frankly even more, the way they were standing, I was concerned about walking up to them, as I didn't want to "startle" them, but given they were both leaning into the vehicle, and wouldn't have a good view of what's around them....ugh....whatever....so many different problems in this photo.

That's my point: they're not trying to block the station, or the sidewalk. They're not really obstructing anything- you can walk around them, you just have to walk in the street or on the tracks for a minute. But they are obtrusive- they're right in your tracks, you need to pause to think about what to do, whereas you should be able to just walk down the street.

But, anyway, we can definitely agree that there are plenty of problems in the photo.

(07-03-2019, 10:51 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That's my point: they're not trying to block the station, or the sidewalk. They're not really obstructing anything- you can walk around them, you just have to walk in the street or on the tracks for a minute. But they are obtrusive- they're right in your tracks, you need to pause to think about what to do, whereas you should be able to just walk down the street.

But, anyway, we can definitely agree that there are plenty of problems in the photo.

They are 100% blocking the north (west) access to the platform. You can walk around...in a garden, and you cannot walk in the tracks (aside from being illegal, there's a >1.5 foot climb to get back on the platform). If you are in a wheelchair, walker, or stroller, or even a cane, you cannot use the station from the south in this situation at all. That's clearly obstructing by any definition.
(07-03-2019, 10:54 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: They are 100% blocking the north (west) access to the platform. You can walk around...in a garden, and you cannot walk in the tracks (aside from being illegal, there's a >1.5 foot climb to get back on the platform). If you are in a wheelchair, walker, or stroller, or even a cane, you cannot use the station from the south in this situation at all. That's clearly obstructing by any definition.

Well said Dan. Maybe tweet the picture at the chief with this explanation? (And perhaps you already did...)
So I did my first bike + ION commute this morning, and was late enough that I had no issue finding a place for the bike. At first it was nice to just roll on and stand at a lean-seat (what are these things really called?) without having to toy with a rack at the front, but after the 25 to 30 minutes from Block Line to R&T Park it was actually rather a pain to keep standing there and hold the bike with the brake on. I so wanted to love this.
(07-03-2019, 11:03 AM)KevinT Wrote: So I did my first bike + ION commute this morning, and was late enough that I had no issue finding a place for the bike.  At first it was nice to just roll on and stand at a lean-seat (what are these things really called?) without having to toy with a rack at the front, but after the 25 to 30 minutes from Block Line to R&T Park it was actually rather a pain to keep standing there and hold the bike with the brake on. I so wanted to love this.

Few tips, if there is space, put your bike in the space with the flip down seats, and have a seat..much more comfortable.

Also, I've found it's possible sometimes to turn the bars 90 degrees, and point the tire into a corner don't have to hold the brakes on that way.

(And I tweeted Galloway and the public WRPS account).
KevinT Wrote:
danbrotherston Wrote:They are 100% blocking the north (west) access to the platform. You can walk around...in a garden, and you cannot walk in the tracks (aside from being illegal, there's a >1.5 foot climb to get back on the platform). If you are in a wheelchair, walker, or stroller, or even a cane, you cannot use the station from the south in this situation at all. That's clearly obstructing by any definition.

Well said Dan. Maybe tweet the picture at the chief with this explanation? (And perhaps you already did...)

You should; I'd be curious what the response is. It's my belief that this type of behaviour must in part be designed to be inconvenient to people, so I can't see how pointing out that it is inconvenient would help. But maybe I'm wrong, and it's just sheer ignorance on the part of these and many other police.

In any case, we're in agreement that it's egregious behaviour that shouldn't happen.

(07-03-2019, 11:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
KevinT Wrote:Well said Dan. Maybe tweet the picture at the chief with this explanation? (And perhaps you already did...)

You should; I'd be curious what the response is. It's my belief that this type of behaviour must in part be designed to be inconvenient to people, so I can't see how pointing out that it is inconvenient would help. But maybe I'm wrong, and it's just sheer ignorance on the part of these and many other police.

In any case, we're in agreement that it's egregious behaviour that shouldn't happen.
I am surprised that you can come to these conclusions without even knowing what the situation is.  And to draw a conclusion that these and many other police simply want to inconvenience people tells you have some strong personal bias against the police... Perhaps waiting till you have the facts, many times there are reasons for why certain things are done the way they are done.
Rainrider22 Wrote:I am surprised that you can come to these conclusions without even knowing what the situation is.  And to draw a conclusion that these and many other police simply want to inconvenience people tells you have some strong personal bias against the police... Perhaps waiting till you have the facts, many times there are reasons for why certain things are done the way they are done.

That's true that I don't have all of the facts. My assumption was based on the "nobody around" comment, and I was careful in my previous comment not to say they should "never" block a sidewalk (or a road, or whatever). You're right that it's very possible that this is one of the cases where they were absolutely justified in doing so, and I would be glad that they prevented imminent property damage or injury (or whatever the case may have been).
(07-03-2019, 11:26 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
Rainrider22 Wrote:I am surprised that you can come to these conclusions without even knowing what the situation is.  And to draw a conclusion that these and many other police simply want to inconvenience people tells you have some strong personal bias against the police... Perhaps waiting till you have the facts, many times there are reasons for why certain things are done the way they are done.

That's true that I don't have all of the facts. My assumption was based on the "nobody around" comment, and I was careful in my previous comment not to say they should "never" block a sidewalk (or a road, or whatever). You're right that it's very possible that this is one of the cases where they were absolutely justified in doing so, and I would be glad that they prevented imminent property damage or injury (or whatever the case may have been).
I don't disagree that it isn't ideal for them to be situated where they are.  I guess it felt you were being absolute about the situation.  Anyways, still doesn't hurt to bring it to the attention of the management to remind the officers to not block the rails and or walkways to the stations whenever possible.  This is a learning curve for everyone, police included..
Like others said, the officers may well have a reason to block access, but it is a general pattern that you see with delivery vehicles, utility trucks, and drivers of all sorts. All of them make an effort not to block a driving lane, because they don't want to disrupt traffic. This often means they block a sidewalk or bike lane or transit lane instead. They're being conscientious, but of other drivers like themselves. The goal should be to expand people's idea of road users to be more than just other drivers and to include people on transit, cyclists, pedestrians, people in wheelchairs and so on so that their actions are considerate of all users.

In this case, the police officers had a number of choices about where they could stop. They didn't stop in the middle of the street, probably because it would block traffic. They didn't stop in the transit lane, because they've thankfully been taught by this point not to because it disrupts LRT. Maybe they could have stopped in the parking lot instead, I don't know. They might have thought that it was no problem for pedestrians to get around them even (disregarding that it would be illegal for them to go on the tracks or through the garden/planter). I highly doubt they considered those with mobility or other impairments, though.
(07-03-2019, 11:35 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 11:26 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That's true that I don't have all of the facts. My assumption was based on the "nobody around" comment, and I was careful in my previous comment not to say they should "never" block a sidewalk (or a road, or whatever). You're right that it's very possible that this is one of the cases where they were absolutely justified in doing so, and I would be glad that they prevented imminent property damage or injury (or whatever the case may have been).
I don't disagree that it isn't ideal for them to be situated where they are.  I guess it felt you were being absolute about the situation.  Anyways, still doesn't hurt to bring it to the attention of the management to remind the officers to not block the rails and or walkways to the stations whenever possible.  This is a learning curve for everyone, police included..

In this case, if there is a valid explanation, it should be easy for WRPS to explain briefly.

If there isn’t, it should be easy for them to apologize and commit to treating pedestrian rights of way with more respect in the future, including appropriate officer training.

Not that different really from any other observation of the police. Imagine a video came out of two officers sitting on a suspect while another puts on handcuffs. Could be anything from outrageous police conduct to absolutely necessary depending on the circumstances, and no matter where it falls in the spectrum the force needs to be prepared to give an appropriate response both to the public and internally (ranging from firing and blacklisting the involved officers to commending them for handling the situation properly, depending on the specifics).

https://www.twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/1146482549788729346
I have no idea how to make the Twitter preview work. It didn't even convert to a url.

https://twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/114...9788729346

"A total of 299,760 passengers boarded ION light rail, from opening day to Canada Day, during the 11 days of free transit in Waterloo Region."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »