Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-02-2019, 02:50 PM)KevinT Wrote: Today I took a ride from R&T to Willis Way for lunch and had to dash for my train, so I pulled out my EasyGO card and blind tapped it on the podium as I went by. There was no sound but I didn't have time to look at the screen and just kept going, missing my train anyway. After lunch when I pulled the card out again to tap it for the return transfer, I had time to read the screen and saw that it was denied. I flipped the card over and discovered that it was my Presto card, which was at the end of the stack in my wallet instead of the EasyGO card because I had just used it in Toronto on the weekend.

No fare lost for GRT as the whole trip took less than 90 minutes and I tapped the correct card on the way back, but it made me wonder why on earth the podiums don't make a sound? A simple mid-pitch Bing for a valid tap and low pitched Brrrrrrt! for an invalid one would be extremely helpful for both the visually impaired and the traveller on the go. It seems weird for the podiums to be completely silent. I also found the screens hard to see without shading them with my hand, adding even more value proposition to combining the display with sound.

Does anyone recall if this was discussed during any of the community events? I haven't had much occasion to use my card on the bus, but my fuzzy recollection is that the fare box display there is combined with sounds.
Some of them do make a sound and some of them for some reason or another are muted. There are techs going around to all the stations to tweak and fix issues that popped up today.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 07-02-2019, 10:20 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM