Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I was thinking last night about how psychologically the various parts of the line feel far more connected now with LRT than with the bus. I'm not entirely sure why. I was going to a late movie at the Cineplex on Fairway with some friends and was early and considering options for food. With the bus, I would have only considered the options around the mall and theatre. Last night, I was running through all the options all along the line. Did I have time to run up to Vincenzo's? It's been awhile since I've grabbed a sandwich there.

I think the level-boarding trains and station infrastructure have a part in that. Physically there are few barriers (although the pedestrian infrastructure around the mall is horrendous right now, particularly with the construction there). The free fares is definitely another factor too, probably the largest. It makes me wonder if it is worthwhile for the region and municipalities to subsidize transit specifically to remove the mental barrier that the fare payment creates. Would free bus routes create the same sense of connection? It certainly doesn't seem that way, seeing as the bus system is free right now too.

Has anyone else noticed a radical change in their mental map of the city with the advent of ION service?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jamincan - 06-27-2019, 10:03 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM