Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-27-2019, 07:21 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 05:57 AM)ac3r Wrote: Exactly. I don't understand why someone would drive their vehicle, just to park it in order to take public transit? Why not just take public transit to begin with - or drive? It's not like there are many neighbourhoods in the city without adequate service, including north Waterloo.
On Sunday we drove to Fairview park to hop on the iON for the multicultural festival to avoid the hassle of parking downtown. We live in a Sunday transit desert. The 33 doesn’t run on Sunday's and the nearest walk to another stop is over 40 minutes away. I can see a use case for people say in Conestogo or other north end exurbs using a park and ride.
I agree, I did the same when I used the LRT, I parked at Park and Ride.  I know the strong proponents of transit on here say take the bus, but, baby steps.  Lets get people using the LRT regardless of how they get to the station, then start working up to full transit experience including buses.  It is a major cultural shift we are talking about here.,  People will change and adjust.  My kids are likely going to end up being very transit dependent because we have traveled a lot and utilize transit systems in other cities so my children don't view public transit with a negative stigma.  As the older car dependent people age and lose their drivers licence, they will learn to rely on the transit too.  Eventually it will become the norm for the urban populations of the Region.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and we have only started to build what I believe is going to be an amazing city and the envy of many cities in  North America... So lets all stay positive and encourage new people to try the LRT.  If each of us gets a new person to try, we will be on our way. I know personally I have already gotten three families to try and they are very impressed.  They don't see any of the complaints that people on here are talking about because they aren't experts  in transit.  So, remember the lens that many people are viewing through is different than your own. I predict that this is going to be huge success and that the second phase will be built sooner than later based on the success.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Rainrider22 - 06-27-2019, 08:00 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM