Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-26-2019, 06:56 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It does beg the question though, what if public transit didn't have a user fee ?( I wont say free because everything has a price)  What would the impact be on people's commuting choice ?  Packed transit but less cars ?  Better for the environment, better for people's stress level. encourage the system to be built out faster ?  All hypothetical, but interesting..

This is always an interesting question.  Ridership would probably increase.  But one must ask where these trips are coming from.  Four places:

1) People who couldn't afford transit who can now.  This is a social good (equality) but one that could be achieved for lower cost (giving reduced or free fares to low income individuals).

2) People who wouldn't have made the trip before, not for inability to afford, but not really worth it.  This is also can be a social good, mobility is a valuable thing, I took the train to Waterloo park last week for a walk.  Usually I wouldn't, it was pleasant.

3) People who would have used another clean mode like walking or biking.  This is probably neutral at best, it has some negative health implications possibly, but maybe its a wash.

4) People who would have driven, taxied, or ride shared.  This is clearly an environmental good and a social good.

The fourth category is the most desired category.  So if we just focus on that, there is only one question left:  If we spent the money that it would cost to make transit free (i.e., fares minus the cost of collecting them) on improving service instead, would we see a greater number of people using transit from category 4?  I think in our city, probably, service is the greatest impediment to car drivers using transit.

For bonus points, lets fund transit improvements by charging more for driving, at least in transit dense areas.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 06-26-2019, 08:56 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM