Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-24-2019, 12:07 PM)KevinT Wrote: Taking the train downtown for lunch and just heard the platform announcement "To enter or exit the train, please push the button on the door."  Awesome!

I honestly figured this would be common sense. There is a button on the door, so logically, you push it to open the door. Or maybe I've just been on too many transit systems worldwide it is instinctual when you see one. One thing I haven't thought to take notice of is if the buttons light up? I am thinking how on subway/train/high speed rail on trains in places like Germany or France there is a big button you clearly push to open the doors that will be illuminated by a ring of LED lights. Two <> symbols that are encircled in red, which when you push go green.

Anyway, I rode it again today. It's interesting overhearing people speak positively about it. A trio of elderly ladies was very ecstatic about not only not having to drive to go to the malls or downtown, but that they are seeing places of the city they've never seen, because in a car you are more or less just observing this little sphere around you. The tram was standing room only at about 11AM, which I thought was unusually busy but I guess compared to a bus outside of rush hour that's fair, now that this is an arterial mode of transportation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ac3r - 06-24-2019, 03:25 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM