Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-20-2019, 02:07 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I particularly like all the people who believe GRT cancelled bus service in the suburbs to force everyone to walk miles to reach the LRT instead.

Technically they did in many area's. If someone is saying "miles" that is an exaggeration. 1/2 to 3/4 KM? Now that's accurate. They cancelled the service upon approval of the LRT in my neighbourhood. Frustrating for sure though, as many people don't want to walk 500-750 extra metres to get to the closest stop, especially when it is raining or -20º. Needless to say, if I wanted to use the LRT so I didn't need my car, it would be an issue many days simply because the bus stop went from being about 15m from my house to 700m.

One thing though, is that a lot of the housing changed, really almost no low-income housing in the 'hood now. We had one apartment complex that didn't renew leases so they could convert into luxury apartments maybe 2 years ago. The old tenant all used the bus, but since the LRT took that away, many moved (regardless of the lease).

But those grumbling about the GRT cancelling (or more like reducing) service is fairly truthful. As I said, in my case, the GRT is useless now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 06-20-2019, 03:48 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM