Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-08-2019, 06:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Just because Charles cannot move, does not mean there cannot be adjustments to the lot.

Here is my proposal, which is an extension of the Gaukel greenway idea.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NvS_-T...lAzNrm-Kba&usp=sharing

That’s pretty cool, and a perfect illustration of why it should not simply be sold off like any random development parcel. Essentially you’re saying that Joseph doesn’t need to be a through-street, so the bus terminal site can be directly adjacent to the park. Then once this is done, there is nothing special about the current Joseph road allowance, so if a different shape for the park and non-park areas is needed, that can be done at the same time. I like the idea, which I think you are also suggesting, that the Gaukel greenway should be wider than the existing street, at least south of Charles. And the idea that Joseph isn’t needed as a through street I think makes some sense. If there is anywhere we can pare down the motor vehicle network in favour of excellent pedestrian and bicycle connections, it’s right here downtown. The stretch you’re suggesting closing has absolutely no driveways, so similar to Gaukel it doesn’t introduce any issues with maintaining existing access. At a minimum, the bus terminal development should not be allowed to have any vehicle access from either Gaukel or Joseph, in order to avoid creating problems for future greenway proposals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 06-08-2019, 09:06 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM