Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-24-2019, 07:06 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 02:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: 1-2 minutes is the same cycle as a red light at a major intersection.

Clearly 1-2 minutes every 5 minutes at the most frequent won't be a problem for Northfield, which already has intersections that are red for 1-2 minutes ever 2 minutes.

Sure, but there wasn't an existing intersection there, and major delays in that section of road combined with the expressway on-ramp and traffic from Parkside Dr can easily back up cars to Weber St. We've already discussed the related issue where a train at Northfield Station can cause the signal to stay down for extended periods of time. I appreciate the common refrain that an LRV may be carrying far more people than are waiting in the cars at the intersection, but that doesn't mean we should have lower standards for signal timing than other cities with LRTs to the point a major car route becomes a choke point.

I was also annoyed about CTV's inaccurate reporting about track lubrication. How hard is it to research something that's been ongoing for years?

I just don't think once the signals are timed right, this will be a major choke point for cars.  If there's one thing we know about most of our regional traffic engineers is that they will jump through any hoop, spend any money in order to ensure convenient flow of traffic every minute of every day.

I do think our society is overly obsessed with fixing traffic congestion that occurs for a max of an hour a day, spending enormous sums of money and untold lives on fixing that one hour of time.  I think we *should* have lower standards for congestion.  But that's unrelated to the LRT.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM