Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-04-2019, 02:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 02:40 PM)urbd Wrote: This will be an unpopular opinion but as long as the system is safe then it should be open, and just looking at the LRVs going up and down the whole line without any visible or serious issues make it seem that it could be safe enough to operate. Yes, I am aware of the legality and the processes and checklists, I am just speaking hypothetically. A system like this in Mexico or Colombia or elsewhere would be open and running right now and just fixed/finished along the way, but Canada has an extremely strict process. Systems that are this complex have perpetual construction and maintenance associated with them, so I would be fine with it opening even if it's not 100% perfect.

What level of service do you recommend opening at?

AFAIK the signals are not yet operating, so they can only run, 3 (or maybe 6) cars safely...meaning service is 30 minute at best.  Currently the iXpress provides better service.  There would be a huge service cut to start running.  More, starting revenue service will interfere with testing (seems like they test one section carefully, before moving on, on revenue service the cars have to run the whole route), so that could actually delay full service even longer.

The last part is the biggest problem, AFAIK neither the region, nor Grandlinq actually own any LRVs right now, since the signoff from Bombardier hasn't happened yet, Bombardier owns them, yes they *could* wave the signoff requirements--that wouldn't be wise. This is an artifact of how the contract is structured, but I think even in Mexico or Columbia, a government would have signoff requirements that need to be met. Part of the disconnect is that the route has been largely ready for some time and we are waiting on vehicles to be ready.

In some cases I might agree, but in this case, we currently have iXpress 200 operating the route, and the costs would be so high I don't think it makes any sense.

I would be totally fine with 30 min, even 45 min service to start WITH the 200 iXpress still running every 15 min or so (with adjusted route, to fill the middle of the ION 30 min wait).

As for the second part, I am aware of this and yes it's exactly part of the legality/process/bureaucracy I was referring to. What I meant by using Mexico and Colombia as examples is that the legal lines in those places are blurred and adjusted as necessary for political reasons. For example, if this was being built in Mexico and the trains were already 80% tested, the track 100% done, stations 100% done, and the ownership of the trains was not fully transferred legally, I am sure that local Mexican government would simply launch the system (pay a couple officials for X and Y companies to sign some sort of fake agreement while the 'legal' process is being done) even if it's not fully legal/tested/etc. Just putting things into perspective... of course I'd like a fully reliable system but I do feel we are over-cautious here sometimes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by urbd - 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM