Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-22-2019, 12:21 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 11:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: So does that mean they CANT actually handle 4, or just that no one would?

More-or-less.  If no customer has asked to run trains of 4, there's no reason for them to specifically test that they can actually do it.  Sure, they've done the calculations, but I highly guess that this is more a case of the Bombardier Marketing Team having this conversation back in about 2007:

"So we're bringing over the Flexity 2 design from Berlin, I have to make a brochure.  We're going to say we can run these things coupled together as a consist, right?"

"Yeah, that's a good idea, we should put that in."

"Okay, how many?"

"Well, that green line in Toronto they're thinking about is going to probably want 3 together... so just say we can do 4 and we'll leave it at that until someone asks for something different."

"Sounds good!"  :: print ::

Remember, in this industry (and many, many others), even though marketing likes to pretend something is a "standard product", the reality is that every single vehicle rolling off the "line" is a custom-built entity.  I can almost guarantee you that "under the hood" all 14 of our trains are going to be slightly different in some way, because somebody ran a bundle of wire through a different lightening hole in the frame, or someone decided to download a different update of some firmware on some isolated controller for blinking a light somewhere else, etc...

I work in custom automation and even though we might sell two or three "identical" machines, they never are.

I heard our operators mention also that the LRVs tend to have subtle differences when they're driving like they've got their own bit of character or something
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jason897 - 02-22-2019, 06:29 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM