Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It seems to me that a decision was made not to have any mid-block, i.e. unsignalized, crossings. It may have been taken to improve safety, limit liability, and probably both. Personally I support that.

On a short street like the King to Duke block of Frederick there's an argument to be made for just stretching the platform to the crossing at either end, but I'm guessing it couldn't be done due to a combination of turn radius for the track and the desire to keep as many lanes open as possible: It was four lanes plus a dedicated left before, it's four lanes including left turns now. The sidewalk on the southeast corner probably could have gone on a diet, but then the through lanes wouldn't line up with their continuation on the other side of the intersection. Some inevitable trade offs were made. That's life man...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by KevinT - 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM