Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-25-2015, 03:20 PM)Markster Wrote: Accommodation should be provided where it reasonably can.

Accessibility should always be considered, but one cannot always expect full accessibility in all things at all times.
You are asking for a monumental reconfiguration of the school's historical front steps for a ramp that would be of limited functional use.

That's a very privileged attitude. I'm guessing you would have no trouble using stairs. It's clear that you are okay making people who aren't like you use alternate access no matter how it makes them feel. Your "where it reasonably can" isn't reasonable to a lot of people. It's ableism and it's no different than telling women or minorities they can't use the same things others can.

Also, I didn't say they should monumentally alter the entry. I said there should be a safe, dignified access to the space at the top of the new stairs. That is within the scope of the project. You say "limited functional use" like it's okay to tell a sector of society "too bad".

I challenge you to meet me at KCI and push a wheelchair while you sit in it from the bus stop to the entrance. Hopefully your perspective of what disables people and attitude towards needless barriers would gain new insight. I'll bring you a chair to push. Let me know if you want the realistic beat up rickety chair that people on ODSP are stuck using or if I should look for a smooth ride people may envy.

I'm serious.

@gomesjustin, you're welcome to try it out too.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by kwliving - 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM