Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-20-2018, 02:35 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: 510 was brought up the spur at midnight on the first CN train to Elmira in 20 years.

Now all we need is CP up Caroline. Big Grin

While I wholeheartedly want to agree - born, raised and living in K-W my entire life, waiting for us to 'get to the next level' - the news about not only Hamilton, but London working on or getting (?) their own LRT diminished this one, oh ever so slightly ha. K-W won't have that 'one up' on those cities.

All a wash if we can get a rapid train to connect K-W to downtown Toronto in 45 mins - booya.
Can regular citizens get on the ION tour?
(11-20-2018, 12:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Can regular citizens get on the ION tour?

That's who the tour is for, no?
(11-20-2018, 12:34 PM)Momo26 Wrote: While I wholeheartedly want to agree - born, raised and living in K-W my entire life, waiting for us to 'get to the next level' - the news about not only Hamilton, but London working on or getting (?) their own LRT diminished this one, oh ever so slightly ha. K-W won't have that 'one up' on those cities.

I'm not really interested in one-upping other cities, but Hamilton's LRT is (still, surprisingly) not a done deal at this point, and London isn't building an LRT (and their BRT project is currently paused).

If you're always thinking about getting to the next level, how can you ever appreciate the city as it is today?
(11-20-2018, 12:47 PM)timc Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 12:34 PM)Momo26 Wrote: While I wholeheartedly want to agree - born, raised and living in K-W my entire life, waiting for us to 'get to the next level' - the news about not only Hamilton, but London working on or getting (?) their own LRT diminished this one, oh ever so slightly ha. K-W won't have that 'one up' on those cities.

I'm not really interested in one-upping other cities, but Hamilton's LRT is (still, surprisingly) not a done deal at this point, and London isn't building an LRT (and their BRT project is currently paused).

If you're always thinking about getting to the next level, how can you ever appreciate the city as it is today?
(11-20-2018, 12:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 12:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Can regular citizens get on the ION tour?

That's who the tour is for, no?

Keep in mind the tours are of the stationary vehicles at each stop; only Ion staff can ride aboard between stops (as they have not yet signed off on safety in motion).

I also have a video from last night Tongue

Saw 505, 506, 507 and 511 all on King St W around lunchtime. The odd boys were an old hat, but this was the first time (or at least the first time in a long time) I had seen 506, I think.
(11-20-2018, 04:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Saw 505, 506, 507 and 511 all on King St W around lunchtime. The odd boys were an old hat, but this was the first time (or at least the first time in a long time) I had seen 506, I think.

well 506 was out yesterday too, I saw it myself at Fairway. But before that, yes I believe it has been a while since it's been out
In that case, I've taken the standing tour a dozen times already ha.
(11-20-2018, 12:47 PM)timc Wrote:

Word.   Smile
One exception....I want to one up Ottawa when it comes to who's LRT is running first Wink

All a wash if we can get a rapid train to connect K-W to downtown Toronto in 45 mins - booya.

I actually don't think London is doing an LRT, I think they want dedicated (or at least partially) BRT.

You talk to anyone from London who's been to KW, they always wonder why London said "No" to an intercity expressway. Lots of regret it seems.

Anyway, for now, KW has one-upped both those cities. At best, Hamilton might have LRT by 2024...
510 was offloaded this morning, it all started with pushing the ramp out of the yard:

[Image: 45064952205_4d1c16961c_c.jpg]

It was switched to the southbound track:

[Image: 45252760464_c497ccd940_c.jpg]

Then pulled forward for staging:

[Image: 45252760524_cc30a563c0_c.jpg]

After decoupling the ramp, the TrackMobile pulled forward and switched to the freight track for its northbound trip to retrieve 510 and its entourage:

[Image: 45252759274_02aef96215_c.jpg]

Fetch TrackMobile!

[Image: 31038025307_49edd5311b_c.jpg]

Hey, look what you've brought:

[Image: 31038023477_e0ef5c06da_c.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »