Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-07-2018, 11:17 AM)Canard Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 10:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: There's got to be a reason why the Region won't go after Metrolinx. Still needing them for something?  Maintaining relationships?

Because Metrolinx is the Province.... where the money comes from. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you, and that’s all there is to it. It’s why Bombardier can’t defend themselves - the people calling them out are the ones who pay their bills.

Ohhhh right.  I keep forgetting that.  Of course.  It's why you don't throw your boss under the table.

(11-07-2018, 11:17 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 10:42 AM)jason897 Wrote: as per Tom Galloway on 570 news, the final LRV (501 I guess) is now expected to ship late January

EDIT: the COO now says he has committed to delivering all the LRVs by the end of December

But none of them with the specialty electronics right?

All with the specialty electronics
COO: "I'm committing that all 14 cars will have the new equipment installed on them and in the Region by the end of the year"
(11-07-2018, 10:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: There's got to be a reason why the Region won't go after Metrolinx. Still needing them for something?  Maintaining relationships?

Phase 2 funding.
(11-07-2018, 11:27 AM)jason897 Wrote: COO: "I'm committing that all 14 cars will have the new equipment installed on them and in the Region by the end of the year"

Well it's kinda nice to see Bombardier throw the region under the bus, if anyone would believe them anyway.

If we have all vehicles by end of year, why do we have to wait a minimum of 4 more months?  *sigh*.
(11-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Canard Wrote: ]
(11-06-2018, 06:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think Bombardier has so much to do with it at this point. It's the region's system (since the Metrolinx system went MIA) that needs to be integrated and debugged.

This can't be stressed enough.  The media still haven't latched onto this crucial fact.  Our trains have been in a holding pattern since last February (when they were all almost complete), waiting on someone, anyone, to make a decision about what would fill the hole in the dash.  A decision that should have been made years ago.

The perils of MSM and fake news ...
(11-07-2018, 11:14 AM)jason897 Wrote: Recording in case people missed it! http://jason.randomfiles.info/Nov_7_Bomb...erview.m4a

Thank you!!

(11-07-2018, 12:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 11:27 AM)jason897 Wrote: COO: "I'm committing that all 14 cars will have the new equipment installed on them and in the Region by the end of the year"

Well it's kinda nice to see Bombardier throw the region under the bus, if anyone would believe them anyway.

If we have all vehicles by end of year, why do we have to wait a minimum of 4 more months?  *sigh*.

Thomas Schmidt from the region says it's for the final checks, tests, 600km burn in, 2 week full service simulation (the interview that's happening now on 570 news). But if they all arrive in December as opposed to January it would give them a bit more leeway...

(11-07-2018, 12:45 PM)Canard Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 11:14 AM)jason897 Wrote: Recording in case people missed it! http://jason.randomfiles.info/Nov_7_Bomb...erview.m4a

Thank you!!

You're welcome!
Looks like Canard has a local columnist in his camp: https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...-a-relief/
(11-07-2018, 01:23 PM)jason897 Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 12:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Well it's kinda nice to see Bombardier throw the region under the bus, if anyone would believe them anyway.

Thomas Schmidt from the region says it's for the final checks, tests, 600km burn in, 2 week full service simulation (the interview that's happening now on 570 news). But if they all arrive in December as opposed to January it would give them a bit more leeway...

A bit more? Again, were they lying about the December date?  Or are they delaying launch months for no reason?

If they have all trains in December, and the last train needs 2 weeks + burn in (max 2 weeks?).  January should be the month, not May/June.

Quite frankly, this region is proving itself unacceptable for non-car owners.  I will leave or buy a car, but I'm not going to suffer further through this bullshit.
Looks like they have finally learned to under-promise and over-deliver.
I thought that was taught in politician 101
(11-07-2018, 03:33 PM)Canard Wrote: Looks like they have finally learned to under-promise and over-deliver.

If experience is the best teacher, you'd think they'd have figured this out years ago.

Had they said "should be ready sometime in 2020" then come out in March 2019 and say "it's going to be ready a few months early" then it's all good.

Kinda like the Victoria Street bridge, which opened early, same with the Franklyn Road bridge, which is opening early. Though road construction is usually done on-time (early).

Lots of testing action happening tonight! It started at about 6pm. I think there’s now only one LRV out. PS, LimeBike scooters make a great way to chase along!
(11-07-2018, 07:11 AM)Canard Wrote: With the original 182 LRV order, Metrolinx was to “fill the hole in the dash”, and we were to get and use the same system. They didn’t come up with an in-cab signaling system. So, the Region/GrandLinq scrambled to come up with an off-the-shelf solution from another vendor. They finally did that, and only recently penned an agreement with Bombardier to have them install it.... only after they realized they couldn’t do it themselves!

Bombardier has actually helped them out, and everyone is slamming them for it.  It’s absolutely maddening.

Huh? I think you have confused me again.

Can you please differentiate between the Region and GrandLinq’s responsibilities?

Was selecting AND integrating the FIE part of GrandLinq’s responsibilities under the terms of the project agreement and the region’s job to ensure they understood and were on top of this, or was it the Region’s responsibility to select the FIE and GrandLinq’s to integrate it?

It would seem that based on the language in Schedule 35 (Vehicles) in the project agreement it was up to GrandLinq to create the specification for the on-board equipment and up to the region to add it to the separate contract with Bombardier (note that below Project Co = GrandLinq). Also, check out the date that the specifications were supposed to have been submitted by:

"The Region will facilitate on behalf of Project Co the development of an amendment to the WLRT Fleet Contract (a “Fleet Contract Amendment”) based upon Project Co's specification providing for configuration of the Vehicles at the Vehicle Supplier's factory so as to enable installation either at the factory or following Vehicle Acceptance Testing of on-board equipment specified by Project Co, for example ATP and radio equipment. All costs in respect of such Fleet Contract Amendment, once agreed to by Project Co, the Region and the Vehicle Supplier, shall be payable by Project Co. Project Co shall submit to the Region details of their approach to on-board Vehicle equipment requirements, e.g. ATP, radios, etc., on or before May 30, 2014 so as to facilitate design development of the Vehicles."

I think it is important to distinguish the roles and responsibilities of all the parties (Bombardier, GrandLinq, Region, Metrolinx, etc.) and not lump them together.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »