Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-05-2018, 07:52 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 08:20 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: I can still see it happening for December. Once 511 is done debugging they can open the floodgates and let all the equipped trains out. They 505, 507, & 509 can get theirs installed

While I appreciate the optimism when I consider that the custom equipment for the other LRVs here in Waterloo started 113 days ago or 79 work days ago (on July 16) I can't imagine how it is possible to meet the December timeline.

Even if they can get the installation to a quarter of the first round of installation time, say 20 days, and work 7 days a week, you are still looking at November 25.

Even if they can finish testing the trackside signals and timing between now and then they would still have to fit in testing all the newly installed specialized equipment, burn-in time, simulated service, and other testing. I could see the remaining Kingston vehicles arriving before year-end, but even that seems unlikely at this point (I think 501 will be the hold up; and even when they remaining trains arrive they will have testing that needs to be done).

Again, I appreciate the optimism, and I hope I am wrong, but I cannot see it opening in December 2018 even with a reduced service level.

You are too cynical. The reality is the specialized equipment systems can be completely tested with as little as 6 vehicles equipped with the FIE. While we haven't seen them out yet, we can't just assume that 502-504 aren't completed yet and 514 should be shipping pretty soon which would give us 12 vehicles. They've been using the same 3 vehicles for driver training and simulated burn-in testing for the past 2-3 weeks which to me sounds like 506 and 508 are having their time in the shop. Once the wayside systems are tested, you really just need to apply any changes to the onboard systems to all the vehicles and run them as normal. You could start burn-in and simulated service the day after completing all the FIE testing and then theoretically launch 2 weeks later. If they complete all the FIE testing by the end of November, they can launch in December. At this point any delays should be measured in days or weeks rather than months. 501 could arrive in the middle of December and we would still be able to launch in December.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 11-05-2018, 12:18 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM