Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It would be wise for be cyclists to alter their course off the LRT line if they're worried it won't be available. It should be assumed it won't be. Can the world just not revolve around cyclists for once ever? Tongue

This afternoon, I noticed a couple of guys with chainsaws taking down six maple trees on Ottawa St. S. in front of the old MTD/Sutherland Shultz/Sherwood Music offices (across from Newtex).  Getting ready to make room for the LRT line?  It's always a bit of a shock to see mature trees like that come down.
There isn't any LRT stuff planned for Ottawa N.
Sorry, I meant "Ottawa St S." (forgot which side of King St I was on!).
I saw those trees going down today too but I figured it was because they were growing right into the hydro lines running along that part of the Iron Horse trail.
(03-10-2015, 11:39 PM)Markster Wrote: Looooonnnnnnng rails!

(click for full size)
[Image: lr4c4ETh.jpg]

Awesome picture.  Where is BlackBerry 10/what road is that on the far side of the tracks?  Will be awesome to catch footage there of the trains running by - I imagine this will be one of the higher-speed sections.
In this link http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...y/2015.asp the link Technical Council Briefing, it has Ottawa from Charles to Mill under construction this summer.

(03-11-2015, 08:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Awesome picture.  Where is BlackBerry 10/what road is that on the far side of the tracks?  Will be awesome to catch footage there of the trains running by - I imagine this will be one of the higher-speed sections.
Here.
That's the Laurel Trail next to the tracks.
Cool cool.  Will have to head up there and get some photos.

Another good video discussing the stages of track laying; I rode this extension last summer.

The tamping machine and grader are what are parked at Waterloo station, as well as a whole whackload of the rollers used to support the rail sections as they get pulled into position.
I was all along the construction corridor today, from Northfield, to Dutton, to UW, to uptown, to midtown, and downtown, and I remain astounded at how much has been accomplished in so little time...through winter.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-12-2015, 11:10 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I was all along the construction corridor today, from Northfield, to Dutton, to UW, to uptown, to midtown, and downtown, and I remain astounded at how much has been accomplished in so little time...through winter.

Depending on the jobsite conditions sometimes it is easier to work in the winter.  The next few weeks with the thaw coming it can get very messy.
Well, I know that next to the University, they stopped work in December, and there was no progress through Jan/Feb. They were back at it last week.

Also, they've delivered some stacks of concrete retaining wall sections.
A busy Saturday at Dutton.

New Culvert and Rails behind Albert McCormick Arena (Waterloo):

I'm curious how rail installation will happen here, order of operations kind of thing... if they need to maintain a fully operating rail line for the users of it.

There is a great little parking lot I found behind the Arena, again this will be a great spot to park for railfanning once trains are running.
(03-15-2015, 11:31 AM)Canard Wrote: I'm curious how rail installation will happen here, order of operations kind of thing... if they need to maintain a fully operating rail line for the users of it.

I get the sense that they'll install the new southbound LRT tracks first, alongside the old tracks here; then shift the connections at King and Northfield so the freight takes the new tracks; then replace the old tracks with the northbound rails.

Just a guess, though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »