Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I was curious if that little Trackmobile could handle the weight of the 4 cars... Here's my answer.

Awesome video, Kevin!

It'll be cool to look back at these in the future.
(04-15-2018, 10:13 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote: LOL!  You make it sound like ours and Toronto's orders are the only ones Bombardier has ever done around the entire world.

They are doing just fine.  A little behind on our project, yes - but Kingston has handed a poorly-managed project from another plant and have turned it around incredibly rapidly.  Historically, Kingston has delivered on every single project in their entire history successfully.
Canard. Why are you laughing at my response. You are the first person on here to get upset if someone is even a little bit disrespectful in your view.  

May I remind you that New York city just shut bombardier out. Add Toronto et al.  You can laugh at me if you want but if this compnay docent get serious about how is manages itself, it's days are numbered . I truly hope I am wrong because I want a Canadian company to suceed. But right now. The reality is they are incompetent.  Put your bias a side and look at their unproven results.

(07-20-2018, 08:39 PM)KevinT Wrote:

Very cool video. Thanks for doing that. Quick question: is the shunting engine remote control operated?   It doesn't appear to have an operator in the cab.
(07-21-2018, 09:32 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Very cool video. Thanks for doing that. Quick question: is the shunting engine remote control operated?   It doesn't appear to have an operator in the cab.

They can be, yes!

They have at least one B MAXI L (“Tram robot”) with no cab, and then a bigger one that has a cab. But both can be run remotely.

http://www.railquip.com/main-categories/...-equipment

The small flanged wheels can flip up, too - they’re only used for guidance when operating on tracks. The work is done by urethane treaded wheels (like forklift tires) that contact the head of the rails. When the flanged wheels are up, they can drive them around on the concrete floor of the OMSF.

(04-15-2018, 08:39 AM)Canard Wrote: LOL!  You make it sound like ours and Toronto's orders are the only ones Bombardier has ever done around the entire world.

They are doing just fine.  A little behind on our project, yes - but Kingston has handed a poorly-managed project from another plant and have turned it around incredibly rapidly.  Historically, Kingston has delivered on every single project in their entire history successfully.
Canard. Why are you laughing at my response. You are the first person on here to get upset if someone is even a little bit disrespectful in your view.  

May I remind you that New York city just shut bombardier out. Add Toronto et al.  You can laugh at me if you want but if this compnay docent get serious about how is manages itself, it's days are numbered . I truly hope I am wrong because I want a Canadian company to suceed. But right now. The reality is they are incompetent.  Put your bias a side and look at their unproven results.

(07-21-2018, 09:41 AM)Canard Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 09:32 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Very cool video. Thanks for doing that. Quick question: is the shunting engine remote control operated?   It doesn't appear to have an operator in the cab.

They can be, yes!

They have at least one B MAXI L (“Tram robot”) with no cab, and then a bigger one that has a cab. But both can be run remotely.

http://www.railquip.com/main-categories/...-equipment

The small flanged wheels can flip up, too - they’re only used for guidance when operating on tracks. The work is done by urethane treaded wheels (like forklift tires) that contact the head of the rails. When the flanged wheels are up, they can drive them around on the concrete floor of the OMSF.
Thank you. Very interesting. Seems much more efficient when the operator can have their eyes directly on the point of interest.
Yes, exactly!

(Why do you keep quoting my old posts?)

(07-21-2018, 11:20 AM)Canard Wrote: Yes, exactly!

(Why do you keep quoting my old posts?)
Because I am old and not as tech savy as you guys!!!
Well that's cute!

Yeah those mini flex bollards seem to have gone up pretty recently. Saw them at curves and intersections around uptown, and at King/Moore and King/Allen where the tracks and vehicle lanes swap sides.
Excuse the crappy photo (right click open in new tab) but I noticed this evening that the Kitchener City Hall Station has some of the platform lighting turned green. Not sure what this means (if anything) but perhaps they are testing a lighting change system for arriving trains after all?

Attached Files Image(s)

could also just be a faulty light too
Multiple lights were green.

It's the white light shining through the protective brown paper and green Kapton tape. It is likely they are painting over graffiti or doing touch-up paint work.
(07-20-2018, 08:39 PM)KevinT Wrote:
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »