Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It's starting to come up now

Edit: Video here. Sure there's some regulars spotted. Will fix embedded link later

https://youtu.be/Mt0fxyxfoyI

Edit 2:

Too tired now to upload anything; just back but had a blast chasing alongside with good company! All four cars (two LRV’s and two flat cars) fit in the siding at Commonwealth Plywood no problem.

There were so many people out taking pictures!! So heartwarming. Heart
Now it's a matter of when they will unload them and if they will unload both on the same day or not.
OCS is being powered up in 5 minutes, and Railterm has been setting all the gauntlet track switches back to normal from reverse... which suggests today will be a normal day of testing, no offloading.
507 is being moved from the shop to storage track 2. 506 is out in the yard with coupler engaged. They moved another vehicle from one shop bay to another as well.

Edit: 507 later left the yard for testing. There were also a bunch of maintenance workers all over the line grinding some concrete around the tracks.
So a couple of interesting events on my drive this afternoon. I happened upon the LRV crossing Erb/Caroline heading towards the park. The event was that when the signals activated there was a Moser Landscape water truck that was turning around in the right turn lane to back into the new multi use trail at which time the gate came down on top of the truck. It took quite awhile to clear the signals and move the truck. I couldn't tell from my vantage point if there were workers over at the mall parking lot to reset the signals. I always love when people in stopped traffic start laying on the horn....like everyone in the front has somehow fallen asleep to cause this backup.

The second was on Bearinger where the gates were down for an very long time while it seemed like the train was at the tech park stop. Most people ended up turning around and about 6 idiots drove around the arms.
1/2 - Tuesday, July 17, 2018

No captions necessary.

2/2 - Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Thanks for sharing Iain!

Love how "It's here!" on the valu-mart sign is framed in the one crossing Erb/Caroline Smile
Haha, great eye - I didn't notice that!

Both LRV’s were offloaded today, from 8:30am to about 1pm.
Now that we know they can do 2 at a time, think the rest will be here before mid September before I go on vacation?
(07-19-2018, 02:19 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Now that we know they can do 2 at a time, think the rest will be here before mid September before I go on vacation?

I understand the remaining 6 will have their specialized equipment installed in Kingston. I’m not aware that there is a published timeline for that work.

Once it’s done, however, 3 roundtrips in one month should be feasible based on what we’ve seen, so we can reasonably expect the remaining vehicles to arrive fairly quickly at that time.
(07-19-2018, 02:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 02:19 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Now that we know they can do 2 at a time, think the rest will be here before mid September before I go on vacation?

I understand the remaining 6 will have their specialized equipment installed in Kingston. I’m not aware that there is a published timeline for that work.

Once it’s done, however, 3 roundtrips in one month should be feasible based on what we’ve seen, so we can reasonably expect the remaining vehicles to arrive fairly quickly at that time.

First ones with the equipment should arrive sometime in August.

1/2 - Thursday, July 19, 2018

Offloading of 508 & 509

2/2 - Thursday, July 19, 2018

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »