Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-14-2018, 09:06 PM)Canard Wrote: ...but it doesn't change the fact that testing must continue, and trains will be blowing by here at 70 km/h on a more frequent basis - and people have simply got to stop crossing, or they'll risk getting killed.

Utter nonsense. It is way safer to cross the LRT tracks than to cross Union at the Spur Line trail, or Park at the Iron Horse, or several other locations I can think of where there is an unprotected crossing of a road by an official path. The danger comes from idiots who can’t be bothered to wait a few seconds and cross after the train rather than before it; for normal, reasonably prudent people, it’s not a dangerous crossing at all. Even without crossing protection, it’s a straight track with excellent visibility. Furthermore, because LRVs are so short (unlike long freight trains), there is little temptation to attempt to beat them to the crossing.

I’ve said it before and I’ll probably say it again. Trains aren’t magically dangerous; the danger comes from being hit by them. They can only be in certain places; and it’s easy, in this case, to see when they will be there.

I’m glad to hear there is apparently a hole in the fence. A people who can’t disobey enough to cross a train line where there should be, but is not, an official crossing is a people who can’t disobey enough to resist tyranny.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 07-14-2018, 10:45 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM