Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-04-2018, 04:56 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 03:54 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: It's hard to tell at this time if it will affect the ION trains or not. While the frames were made in the Mexico plant, they are a different model, so the defect may not exist. Even if it does, it should not delay the launch any more than it is already delayed. If they need to be fixed, I imagine they will look at it when they expand the fleet to double trains.

That's not my understanding. It's a fairly serious defect (though not a safety issue) which would shorten the lifespan of the train if not repaired. I am thinking the trains, if defective, would need to be repaired first before running them out full-time, although with Toronto they have enough spares to be able to keep their LRT in services. It's going to take them 4 years to repair.

Hopefully, this isn't an issue with our trains, and if it is, I don't understand how a welding process could take so long, but obviously, I am naive when it comes to repairs on these trains.

Guess we'll find out in a month or two before we figure if this is a setback.

the fix takes so long because they have to fully disassemble the vehicles to redo the welds then fully reassemble the vehicles.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 07-04-2018, 05:06 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM