Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-26-2018, 09:06 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 08:56 AM)C Plus Wrote: Also, the line running down Victoria (west). Not much room in between Park st. and Lawrence, albeit it would be a one way line. I often wonder if the region/city is secretly buying properties along Victoria for future expansion, for road expansion at the very least.

I would prefer they not split the line like they did in Uptown and Downtown in phase 1 as it seems to be suggested by that early map. Charles and Duke are about 250m apart and I think that is too far apart; Victoria and Highland are >600m apart in places.

I think they could probably fit both directions of the line on Victoria. Most of Victoria is already wide enough, and even in that narrow section you have identified above, Lawrence to Park, the region actually already has a pretty wide right-of-way; it is 20.25m. Compare that to the typical right-of-way on King, say near KCI, and it is only 22.75m. So you are looking at a difference of 2.5m or 1.25m on each side. Literally slivers of land, just like it was along King. Hopefully they make better use of it than they did along King and include fully segregated and protected bike lanes.

Victoria @ LawrenceKing @ KCI

There would seem to be more redevelopment/intensification potential along Highland/Queen west of King, and more redevelopment/intensification potential along Victoria east of King. The Highland/Queen option could probably only ever be uni-directional without significant land takings as the narrowest points are only 17-18m of right-of-way.

It also makes me question why widening Victoria between Lawrence and Park was added to the Moving Forward plan for the 2018-2031 timeline if that very same plan has plans to rip that up not long after.

Another item mentioned in this same report — a change was made to the 2010 transportation master plan identifying this exact stretch of Victoria as being expended to 4 lanes. I believe it was on a 2031-2041 timeline. Such a change would most likely involve some considerable complete property expropriation, which would be a great time to also alot some of that to a potential Ion route
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by GtwoK - 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM