Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Sevenman, I believe the reason, previously brought up, was a bit of a hail mary by Metrolinx. They don't want to blame themselves or seem like they aren't doing anything, but critically, the initial order was based on greater numbers of LRT systems. With all of the LRT cancellations in Toronto, the TTC didn't have need for all those vehicles, and so the side deal made to reduce the total ordered quantity allowed them to get what they really wanted. All that if my memory serves me.

Metrolinx being a provincial agency, and the province being the main partner you have to get in order to get funding support (as we received for phase 1) very much makes them an important good relationship to keep, not least of which because when we bought into their much larger order, we got vehicle costs much lower than we otherwise would have, I believe I remember it being a savings of 7-8 figures per vehicle.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Viewfromthe42 - 04-18-2018, 08:46 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM