Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Posts from twitter and Facebook have been removed - let’s keep this little tidbit of information here for now, shall we?

So well said KevinT.

Just heard an ion commercial on 570 News for the first time!!!
(03-14-2018, 03:39 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:53 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Ethical issues aside, September is a much more realistic start date.

Late June is still possible. Bombardier would have to negotiate with CN for more local switcher time though, which they would have to do anyways once the Metrolinx and Edmonton Freedoms and TTC Flexity Outlooks start rolling off the line.

If they have more of the specialized flat cars the timeline could be sped up. Imagine 3 special flat cars (and 4 regular ones as spacers) taking a one-week round trip. The remaining ones could all be delivered over the course of a month. I have no idea if this is planned, but with the number of vehicles to be delivered for Metrolinx I suspect they will want more than one delivery car.
Even if they get all the trains here today they still need to perform the break in procedures on all of them and probably a hose of other things.
Considering the curve at Hayward is a pile of rubble, and the same crew appeared to be setting up this afternoon at Charles/Benton, quite frankly we have bigger things to worry about.
(03-14-2018, 09:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Considering the curve at Hayward is a pile of rubble, and the same crew appeared to be setting up this afternoon at Charles/Benton, quite frankly we have bigger things to worry about.

Doesn't this take Bombardier totally off the hook? I mean, if the tracks aren't ready, no loss of not having the trains.
I take it these track delays will be a hit to GrandLinq's pocketbook? This has to be putting things behind schedule to some degree or another.

Of course. It costs money to have people slugging away on weekend OT re-doing all this stuff.

Bombardier has been ready to ship trains for months. They have moved on to other projects.
(03-14-2018, 09:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Considering the curve at Hayward is a pile of rubble, and the same crew appeared to be setting up this afternoon at Charles/Benton, quite frankly we have bigger things to worry about.

The Regional Road Closures has Caroline closed from William to Allen next week!  Guessing the curve at Allen?! Sad Sad Also the Hayward closure has been extended a week!
Hmm. An interesting (and maybe a little concerning) article about Detroit's newly opened streetcar... which was built for development reasons rather than transport.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/14/h...ected-few/
Is this just a case of particular track geometry reacting to a freeze-thaw cycle in a way you couldn't predict, or poor setup, requiring rework?
(03-15-2018, 11:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Is this just a case of particular track geometry reacting to a freeze-thaw cycle in a way you couldn't predict, or poor setup, requiring rework?

I honestly don't know - I really hope it's something like that, and not some massive issue with the design of the spiral curves or something like that. It's very interesting that it is only curves that have seen the work so far, and always the outboard rail (although I haven't been by Hayward recently to confirm that).  Although it makes sense if you were going to try and force the gauge to change a little, you'd do it by moving the outboard rail, which is longer, and simpler - since it doesn't have the restraining rail.

(03-15-2018, 11:54 AM)Canard Wrote: Hmm.  An interesting (and maybe a little concerning) article about Detroit's newly opened streetcar... which was built for development reasons rather than transport.

Definitely concerning for Detroit's case. I don't think it applies here, even if the motivations are similar (development vs transport), because ION goes along the already existing highest density corridor of the Region and there is a solid plan to continue to improve the regional bus network. Even as it is, our bus network is quite good. I see ION as an evolution of an already existing high usage transit corridor.
(03-15-2018, 12:23 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 11:54 AM)Canard Wrote: Hmm.  An interesting (and maybe a little concerning) article about Detroit's newly opened streetcar... which was built for development reasons rather than transport.

Definitely concerning for Detroit's case. I don't think it applies here, even if the motivations are similar (development vs transport), because ION goes along the already existing highest density corridor of the Region and there is a solid plan to continue to improve the regional bus network. Even as it is, our bus network is quite good. I see ION as an evolution of an already existing high usage transit corridor.

I read that article. Quite distressing. It sounds like sound transportation planning has taken a back seat to what a few specific property owners wanted.

But here’s what I don’t understand: how can poor service promote development? Apparently the public preferred the centre-running plan … but so did the transportation planners, who point out that the service would run faster there. They ran it at the curb so that it would, supposedly, promote development more. But the service will be worse. Also even if the purpose is to promote development, doesn’t it at least have to provide good service where the hypothetical developments are expected to go?

I think our service is looking pretty good (well, except for the lack of an opening date so far, but that’s coming!). We’re upgrading the busiest bus corridor in the city. Which raises a question: people, some opponents but also boosters of the LRT, claim that it is more to promote development than to move people. But where else would you put a transit project for the purpose of moving people?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »