Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Testing happening today all the way to King and Vic, potentially a bit further down, and tomorrow to Fairview!

I saw a train heading south (on the northbound track) near Columbia Street this morning. Following up on my earlier comments, the gates were properly operating at the Columbia crossing.
Yesterday, Luisa D’Amato asked us on facebook what we thought opening day should be like.

Here's her piece:

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...il-starts/
Have they been doing testing outside core business hours or has it been restricted to like 10 to 4?
(02-14-2018, 03:17 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Have they been doing testing outside core business hours or has it been restricted to like 10 to 4?

Only around business hours so far
(02-14-2018, 01:26 PM)Canard Wrote: Yesterday,  Luisa D’Amato asked us on facebook what we thought opening day should be like.

Here's her piece:

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...il-starts/

And quite appropriately she starts the article talking to Canard ... :O
Blush!

Testing is only 10am-2pm. They don’t want to pay the guys overtime... grr.

Short shifts, or required personnel schedules don't match up, eg one group is 0730-1530 and another is 1000-1800?
It could just be 8-4 workers, with two hours of work to prepare for tests and clean up afterwards.
I saw a photo that appears to show the LRV being towed today:

https://twitter.com/zachbyrt/status/963823335154114560

Does anybody know what the story is? Because other pictures and video from today seem to show it under its own power.
(02-14-2018, 05:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I saw a photo that appears to show the LRV being towed today:

https://twitter.com/zachbyrt/status/963823335154114560

Does anybody know what the story is? Because other pictures and video from today seem to show it under its own power.

They towed it for a little bit from around Wellington to the Tannery. Someone in the FB group asked a worker and apparently it was an expected part of testing. Seemed to imply that it was because they wanted to test towing procedures, but there is an OCS transition point around central station, so maybe the OCS isn't powered south of it.
(02-14-2018, 11:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Also, does anyone ever see any infill station opportunities on the phase one line?

McCormick (where iXpress 200 currently stops) is a pretty big omission from the current line, and would be natural to infill.
Courtland and Manitou would likely be a good stop as well.

I will of course photograph every station when complete. I started that in the fall to round out my construction album (thinking of making a book), but halfway through, winter hit. I’ll pick up in the spring.
I wonder how difficult building infill stations will be. Would it be possible to do track work (like installing gauntlet track) overnight or would the system have to shutdown or go single track?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »