Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Grandlinq Transit Safety and WRPS setup and waiting at Waterloo Public Square for NB track testing south of Erb & Caroline

"We've never had a tram fail in service." - Paul Grocott, Program Manager, for Blackpool City Council

(The FLEXITY 2 is the platform that FLEXITY Freedom is based upon, and shares many similarities)
(02-08-2018, 08:38 PM)Canard Wrote: "We've never had a tram fail in service."

Neither have we Big Grin
Wondering if I contacted the region/grt if they'd be game for me to hope on during testing for a short video to be posted on YouTube. By that, I mean a camera facing forward, so like a drivers viewpoint.
You’d have to get in a (very long) line of those of us who would do anything to be given that same opportunity, friend. Big Grin
I heard bells this morning on my way past UW, and saw that 504 was out for a test run. Here's a brief video I took:

(02-09-2018, 03:11 PM)timc Wrote: I heard bells this morning on my way past UW, and saw that 504 was out for a test run. Here's a brief video I took:

Nice! the motion stabilizer feature of your phone makes it feel as if it was underwater... it's trippy

also, can someone remind me what the B stands for on the vehicle numbering?

(02-09-2018, 03:15 PM)urbd Wrote: also, can someone remind me what the B stands for on the vehicle numbering?

The letters are for the vehicle's modules. Front and back are A and B, the middle ones are C,D,E.
(02-09-2018, 03:18 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 03:15 PM)urbd Wrote: also, can someone remind me what the B stands for on the vehicle numbering?

The letters are for the vehicle's modules. Front and back are A and B, the middle ones are C,D,E.

Oh! I hadn't noticed the A part on the opposite side of the vehicles we've seen so far. Thanks!
(02-09-2018, 03:11 PM)timc Wrote: I heard bells this morning on my way past UW, and saw that 504 was out for a test run. Here's a brief video I took:

Thanks Tim, great to see.  And it looked the pedestrian signals and the ones at Columbia went up decently quick after it had passed them, awesome!
It didn't look to me like the gates on Columbia went down for the train, but I didn't look too closely. The ones near the UW platform did seem to work though.
(02-09-2018, 05:54 PM)timc Wrote: It didn't look to me like the gates on Columbia went down for the train, but I didn't look too closely. The ones near the UW platform did seem to work though.

The white lunar aspects on the grade crossing signals indicate the state of the grade crossing. Off means the crossing protection is not engaged or not engaging. Flashing indicates the crossing protection is engaging or disengaging. Solid indicates the crossing protection is fully engaged. By the looks of the video Columbia was fully engaged when the LRV was crossing.
Yes, I see the lights, but I don't see any movement from the gates. Although the resolution of my phone may not be good enough, and I wasn't paying attention at the time.

From the sounds of things, the curve at Northfield and the Spur is the latest casualty for gauge rework. Unbelievable.
That one's actually had trains over it! Did they spot the problem then, I wonder?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »