Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
On my way home (about 15:00) I noticed what looks like one of those warming tents set up on the southbound track just north of Erb/Caroline. It seems they must have set it up after they were done for the day because the warming tents on the northbound track are still set up.

Awesome to see this happening! Thanks for all the videos!

(02-07-2018, 05:37 PM)KevinT Wrote: It may only have been 15 km/h, but without stopping it was hard to catch!  I missed it at Seagram, University, and Columbia, finally catching it again at Quiet Place.  No issues with the signals this time, they all worked perfectly!

When this thing runs at its rated it speed, it truly will be rapid transit!

Thanks for the amazing updates!
I managed to catch a glimpse of it as well... and ugh, I'm actually despising those extremely loud bells. Is it just me or are they excessive?
(02-07-2018, 06:09 PM)urbd Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 05:37 PM)KevinT Wrote: It may only have been 15 km/h, but without stopping it was hard to catch!  I missed it at Seagram, University, and Columbia, finally catching it again at Quiet Place.  No issues with the signals this time, they all worked perfectly!

When this thing runs at its rated it speed, it truly will be rapid transit!

Thanks for the amazing updates!
I managed to catch a glimpse of it as well... and ugh, I'm actually despising those extremely loud bells. Is it just me or are they excessive?

They may seem excessive but they are designed to be heard by as many people as possible in the vicinity of the tracks.
They won't ring as long once the train is in operation, right? Because the train will be moving faster through that section.
(02-07-2018, 06:46 PM)timc Wrote: They won't ring as long once the train is in operation, right? Because the train will be moving faster through that section.

They definitely won't ring as long as they do now.
(02-07-2018, 02:50 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thanks! Interesting that it looks as if most of the former siding is still there and connected to test track for something that needs to be able to take tight corners - ICTS?

The sharp S-Curves just north of the assembly hall are the original test curves for the CLRV/ALRV test and development programme.

As a refresher, here's a map I put together showing the (current!) test track configuration:

This is going to change dramatically in the next couple of years (!), starting with the new TTC-gauge test track, which will be South of (and parallel to) the Monorail test track.

(02-07-2018, 02:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder why they're doing the clearance test under it's own power now, while before they were doing a pull-through test without power.

I wonder this too!  I was of the impression that every centimetre of track would have to see an LRV being towed through it, first, prior to running under its own power.  I don't know if that's something I just assumed based on historically how I've seen other systems commissioned, or some "rule" I fabricated on my own.  Either way, it sounds like it will significantly reduce the commissioning time if it's not an absolute requirement.

Kevin - as always, you are the man!!
(02-07-2018, 06:09 PM)urbd Wrote: Thanks for the amazing updates!

Sadly, 'tis the norm for North-American Light Rail systems. As an example, here's a quick video I shot outside our hotel in Calgary:

YouTube searches will reveal identical operation all across the continent. The FRA (and consequently, the TSSA) seem to be exceptionally cautious around railway crossings.

Looks like someone has taken out another railway crossing signal along the Waterloo Spur.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...468574051/
Even CTV didn't manage to put a negative spin on today's testing  Big Grin

The Record: Ion vehicle reaches Kitchener during continued testing

CBC: Powered ION LRT test takes vehicle to Central Station in Kitchener

CTV: Ion vehicle rolls into Kitchener for first time
(02-07-2018, 08:30 PM)Canard Wrote: Looks like someone has taken out another railway crossing signal along the Waterloo Spur.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...468574051/
At least they have spares at the OMSF
(02-07-2018, 07:23 PM)Canard Wrote: YouTube searches will reveal identical operation all across the continent.  The FRA (and consequently, the TSSA) seem to be exceptionally cautious around railway crossings.

You would think that the current transit friendly federal government would initiate the process of revising the rail rules to grant exceptions for transit projects.

I suspect the bells will be the number one complaint, followed closely by the squealing, once the system is running. The original drawings showed a noise barrier between the tracks and Quiet Pl, but that never got built. Those living there will here two sets of bells 20+ hrs a day every 4 minutes.

The warming tents near the public square are indeed gone.

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Your first photo indeed shows the same scars of the rework done on the outboard rail for regauging at Borden & Charles.
(02-07-2018, 07:15 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 02:50 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thanks! Interesting that it looks as if most of the former siding is still there and connected to test track for something that needs to be able to take tight corners - ICTS?

The sharp S-Curves just north of the assembly hall are the original test curves for the CLRV/ALRV test and development programme.

As a refresher, here's a map I put together showing the (current!) test track configuration:

This is going to change dramatically in the next couple of years (!), starting with the new TTC-gauge test track, which will be South of (and parallel to) the Monorail test track.

(02-07-2018, 02:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I wonder why they're doing the clearance test under it's own power now, while before they were doing a pull-through test without power.

I wonder this too!  I was of the impression that every centimetre of track would have to see an LRV being towed through it, first, prior to running under its own power.  I don't know if that's something I just assumed based on historically how I've seen other systems commissioned, or some "rule" I fabricated on my own.  Either way, it sounds like it will significantly reduce the commissioning time if it's not an absolute requirement.

Kevin - as always, you are the man!!

Thanks very much, this is extremely helpful!

Do you know the gauge of the CLRV/ALRV test track? I can imagine it being TTC-gauge because the TTC was the main customer, but I can also see it being standard-gauge because they intended to sell those vehicles to lots of systems.

Also do you know if the test tracks will connect directly to the assembly halls? It seems like it would be convenient to be able to just drive a vehicle out of the assembly building and onto the test track, then later over to a loading platform and straight onto a flat car (with no special ramp like they use here).

Where is the assembly hall? I assumed it was the large building near the tracks, but now I see that Google has that labeled as some other company.
(02-07-2018, 10:41 PM)jamincan Wrote: Where is the assembly hall? I assumed it was the large building near the tracks, but now I see that Google has that labeled as some other company.

It's this:

The building was much smaller before, and the expansion for the FLEXITY programme meant building an entire new hall out back with several parallel bays (I can't remember how many, I think it's 6).  The original hall out front is connected to the ICTS test loop and was part of the original facility when it was built in the 70's.  It's a bit hard to see from the road, but here's a shot from my last visit, where you can see one of our LRV's, being stored out front of the original building:

(Sorry, I just spent probably entirely too long trying to search through my photos and I don't seem to have anything that shows the new hall out back. It's silver, though, and the roofline is different. Any of the shots you've seen recently in the media are generally from the new hall. It's white and very well illuminated (compared to the dark and dingy Thunder Bay).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »