Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-17-2018, 02:35 PM)timc Wrote: I saw them testing the ones at Seagram when I was out at lunch time. Maybe this is a precursor to something happening soon?

they were doing some track inspection today in a lot of places. the gauge checker (I have no idea what else to call this) probably set them off.

On my drive in to work this morning there was a guy on a ladder adjusting the sign at King & Northfield that the foam 'clearance fingers' dinged during last week's pull test, but that was the only activity between Conestoga and the OMSF.  At lunch today I saw that the tracks on King & Northfield had been completely cleared of snow (this morning they were uniformly white), but no other activity was evident.
The gauge checker being out explains a lot.

(01-17-2018, 06:10 PM)Canard Wrote: The gauge checker being out explains a lot.

Question about the gauge checking process: how can the track be out of gauge when the ties are mass-produced complete with half of the clipping system pre-embedded? Or for embedded track, as they form it they install numerous ties which hold the rails at the correct distance while the concrete sets. If those are mass-produced, it seems like there would be little opportunity for gauge problems.

I guess what I’m really getting at is, do they do a gauge test because it’s cheap and easy to do and you really want to detect gauge problems with a gauge checker, not with an LRV? Or do they actually find gauge problems once in a while?
Yes, yes they do/did.
New concrete poured and curing at Borden & Charles.

I caught 504 running in the yard under it's own power this morning:

(01-12-2018, 02:09 PM)KevinT Wrote:

Two clearance issues caught in this video, first with the construction barrel at the end of the curb (not a permanent fixture) and then an issue with the "LRT This Lane" sign on the pole at the far side of the intersection.

None of these involved the actual vehicle, just the 'foam fingers' of the clearance rig.  These do however represent a worst case envelope that allows for expansion, contraction, and a little bit of rock and roll, so that sign will have to be dealt with.

The sign snagged during this test was moved lower down on the pole yesterday, it's now at approximately the same height as the yellow diamond speed limit sign on the opposite side.  That should be enough to keep it out of the clearance envelope.
(01-18-2018, 01:18 PM)KevinT Wrote: I caught 504 running in the yard under it's own power this morning:

That's a first, I think?
Nope, it did some runs under its own power in the yard on Dec 19. Mike Boos posted a photo of this to the Facebook group.
First I've seen one of our LRVs moving under its own power on this forum.

...it's really happening, isn't it?
I posted a video a few months ago of one of our LRV’s flying along the Test Track in Millhaven Tongue
Now that's how you show off your new LRV!

They were installing some wooden boxes at the bottom of two of the catenary poles at Caroline/Erb today. They were wrapping them in tarps. One of them had a big blue extension cord sticking out. Any ideas what for?

The desire line for the path to parallel the tracks here is strong:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Likely for keeping recently poured concrete warm while it cures. I noticed this a little further down while riding my bike last weekend, by the Willis Way station. The extension cord was draped from pole to pole, which made me smile.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »