Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
1/2 - Thursday, January 11, 2018:

What an awesome day - finally got to see some movement out along the line up-close!

Crew gathering in the yard, B-MAXI L moving away, and Trackmobile powered up... all good signs!

Heading South of the switch, first.

Speaking of the Trackmobile - it's put on some serious weight!

View from Northfield.

At Northfield, a lucky person got to jump inside and power up the LRV! It was fun to watch - the destination board briefly scrolled through IP addresses and other unintelligible text... but after a few moments, it went clear and "502" popped up in the smaller route display at the base of the windscreen!

2/2 - Thursday, January 11, 2018:

Before too long, it was finally time to head out into the real world.

Waterloo Regional Police Service was on hand to help manage traffic. It was interesting to see that only the Eastbound lanes of traffic were stopped with the railway arms - I can't think of any other place I've ever seen that where only half of the crossing arms come down. It makes perfect sense, but in my mind, I guess I'd just always pictured that "all" traffic would be stopped, here.

Heading across Northfield.

Best job in the world right now!

Approaching Colby/Conestogo.

I couldn't stick around for the rest of the afternoon (I do have a job besides getting excited about LRT, if you can imagine Smile ), but I understand that 502 was pulled up and down twice (both NB and SB tracks) before returning to the yard later in the afternoon.
(01-11-2018, 08:25 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I assume that's either a misquote or just a flub from Galloway. The project agreement is quite specific about the burn-in test parameters.

FWIW I tweeted to him and he replied to say he must be mistaken if the project agreement says 600km.

https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...0589780992
(01-11-2018, 10:04 PM)Canard Wrote: 2/2 - Thursday, January 11, 2018:

Waterloo Regional Police Service was on hand to help manage traffic.  It was interesting to see that only the Eastbound lanes of traffic were stopped with the railway arms - I can't think of any other place I've ever seen that where only half of the crossing arms come down.  It makes perfect sense, but in my mind, I guess I'd just always pictured that "all" traffic would be stopped, here.

I couldn't stick around for the rest of the afternoon (I do have a job besides getting excited about LRT, if you can imagine Smile ), but I understand that 502 was pulled up and down twice (both NB and SB tracks) before returning to the yard later in the afternoon.

Interesting. WRPS brought out the Pride cruiser for this one.
(01-11-2018, 10:04 PM)Canard Wrote: 2/2 - Thursday, January 11, 2018:

Waterloo Regional Police Service was on hand to help manage traffic.  It was interesting to see that only the Eastbound lanes of traffic were stopped with the railway arms - I can't think of any other place I've ever seen that where only half of the crossing arms come down.  It makes perfect sense, but in my mind, I guess I'd just always pictured that "all" traffic would be stopped, here.

What's the crenellated stuff around the train in those pics?
Used for testing clearance.
It’s common practice for roller-coaster pull through testing, which reveals clearance issues.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: 200]

I can think of a handful of rides where structural modifications were required after the fact due to a failure during these tests... Millennium Force’s first overbank turn probably being the scariest!

[Image: millenniumforce03-43.jpg]

(That scallop in the one support arm was added after the ride was built, but before opening. I think about it every time I ride!)

Two clearance issues caught in this video, first with the construction barrel at the end of the curb (not a permanent fixture) and then an issue with the "LRT This Lane" sign on the pole at the far side of the intersection.

None of these involved the actual vehicle, just the 'foam fingers' of the clearance rig.  These do however represent a worst case envelope that allows for expansion, contraction, and a little bit of rock and roll, so that sign will have to be dealt with.
Awesome videos, Kevin and Canard! Thank you so much for sharing.
Update on Ion art installations coming 19-Jan-2018.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Fun to look back at clips like this: 2 years ago, Kansas City was doing the same thing we did yesterday.
(01-12-2018, 09:40 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Update on Ion art installations coming 19-Jan-2018.

Darn, was hoping there would be some actual info in there. Dying to know when my birbs are coming.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »