Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-09-2017, 10:00 AM)JCnb Wrote: Flexy was coming out of the maintenance building again this morning about 10 minutes ago, are they done with clearance testing yet? I would think self powered testing could start as soon as the track is cleared.

As I understand there's actually more clearance testing.  I'm guessing that both tracks in the first testing zone have been tested, but there are still crossovers.

(11-09-2017, 10:00 AM)JCnb Wrote: Flexy was coming out of the maintenance building again this morning about 10 minutes ago, are they done with clearance testing yet? I would think self powered testing could start as soon as the track is cleared.

I threw my bike in the trunk this morning, if it's not raining on my lunch break I'll ride the test section and report back if I spot it.
Was just going to ask what was going on today. I’m assuming pull-through to Conestoga?

No powered testing until next week at the earliest.
My lunch got cut short today by a meeting that ran long so I only made it to Northfield, down to the Waterloo Park TPSS, and back to the office. No sign of any testing and the construction worker I asked at Northfield said he hadn't seen a train all morning, so I doubt there was anything up Conestoga Mall way either. I would of course love to be wrong.
I assume that another pull-by test might include two LRVs traveling in parallel to make sure that there is the appropriate clearance when LRVs pass each other. Sounds silly, but better safe than sorry might be the mantra.
(11-10-2017, 02:04 PM)nms Wrote: I assume that another pull-by test might include two LRVs traveling in parallel to make sure that there is the appropriate clearance when LRVs pass each other. Sounds silly, but better safe than sorry might be the mantra.

It's not a test that they need to run. Logic dictates that if there is enough clearance for the centre poles used for the OCS there is more than enough clearance for 2 LRVs to pass each other. If anything they might have pulled the vehicle out to test the yard track work again.
There's a 1 foot section of the sidewalk on King between Victoria and Francis which has been jackhammered open by Grandlinq.

(11-10-2017, 02:42 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: There's a 1 foot section of the sidewalk on King between Victoria and Francis which has been jackhammered open by Grandlinq.

I saw this too. I wonder if they're adding the black brick-like stamped concrete like all the other sidewalks in the area?
1/2 - Friday, November 10, 2017

I hadn't been able to see any of the pull-through testing in Waterloo Region this week, but was lucky enough to see the rest of the family today in Millhaven!

You can see the right-angle gearbox and drive motor for the lead axle in this photo.  The second axle is powered by an identical setup, albeit rotated 180 degrees, on the far side.

Out back: some touch-up paint being applied to the cab of one of our LRV's!
2/2 - Friday, November 10, 2017

I see you, Metrolinx Pilot LRV!

The end of the high-speed test track. The track was powered up, but unfortunately, we didn't see any motion while we were there.

Always a beautiful and welcome sight: The third-generation ICTS prototype out on the primary LIM test loop at the front of the facility.
Monitoring Change in the Central Transit Corridor – 2016 Annual Report

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
When they're doing all of this testing, is it to test the tracks, the trains, or both?
Both, but pull-through testing is mostly the tracks and wayside structures.

I wonder how many people will see the Ion during the testing phase, completely empty, and say, "I knew no one would ride that white elephant!"?

It would be the one time transit wrapping ads might do some good. Maybe put some cardboard cut-outs in the windows for good measure?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
This would be ideal:

[Image: bd9454f3969e2968846ccbe56fb4da0b]

http://ridetheg.com.au/rhino/

Keolis did this in Gold Coast, and now Bordeaux.

Edit - Oh wow, Angers too, and also Melbourne. Everywhere Keolis is!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »