Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-29-2017, 06:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: By fences at Block Line, do you mean near the Block Line station?

It was about here, from memory (red line):

Giant ~1.5m ugly galvonized chain-link fencing.  Horrible.  Hostile!!!!

(10-29-2017, 06:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Also Hayward is weird — although they put in fences, last time I drove by (yesterday), I thought I saw that the parking lot entrances still have no crossing arms. So fences are “needed”, but not any sort of crossing protection? How does that make sense? Especially since just up the road at the intersection with Courtland there are crossing arms on the pedestrian crossing, the same one that connects to the sidewalk that is separated from the tracks by a fence.

I have no idea.  I'm still baffled that places like Hayward and that Grocery Store on Charles (with a ~10 car parking lot) get the big flashy giant "NO TURN/TRAIN!!!!!!!" signs, yet some residential streets that could have potentially much higher traffic on Caroline have absolutely nothing - except a blind corner that people are going to come shooting out of and get nailed by a train.

Oh yeah, and about crossing arms - I forgot to mention, there are now crossing arms finally installed at the GM Dealership on Courtland at Shelley.  The traffic lights are still not activated there.

(10-29-2017, 07:00 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: It probably does mean that. Though it would be a more useful indicator if it was a solid light or a frequently blinking one rather than 0.1 seconds on 0.6-0.7 seconds off.

A blinking light is more obvious than a solid one - that's why we have flashing bike lights instead of solid ones, they're more likely to catch the attention of motorists or other road and trail users.  A lot of vehicles now actually blip their brake lights at some super-high frequency at the first application of brakes - because it instantly gets the attention of anyone glancing in that general direction - it's really brilliant.

(10-29-2017, 06:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I guess they want to be ready for Phase 2. Nothing to remove in order to construct the extension.

I guess!  Except the two giant birds.  Think of the two giant birds!!

(10-29-2017, 08:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Two giant birds?

I answered my own question; I guess they're not as giant as I thought (sadface!!) and they're going in the areas already landscaped:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 10-29-2017, 08:54 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM