Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-29-2017, 04:47 PM)Canard Wrote: I hadn't really thought about it until today, but the design at the end of the tracks is totally different here from Conestoga.

At Conestoga, the tracks end at a giant "D"-shaped concrete flowerbed, which I had always assumed was sort of a "last resort" crash protection in case a train overran the bumping posts. Here, there's nothing like that - the bumping posts would just push right off the end of the rails. It's also interesting that the platform concrete slopes down flush with the track here, which means people are going to cut across the ends of the tracks, instead of walking around.

I love you so much, DIN 1451.  I love you so much that I spec you on all the Lamacoids on the machinery I design![/i]

I guess they want to be ready for Phase 2. Nothing to remove in order to construct the extension.

Although at Conestoga, it’s easy to imagine a future expansion back down King St. to Uptown, so I’m not sure I would have put something across the end of the tracks that would require removal when expanding the system.

Gold Coast did something interesting: at one end of the initial phase, as far as I can tell from video footage, they built both tracks through the station area, but then built a platform on top of one of the tracks so that the train can open doors on both sides for as long as it is a terminal. It looks as if they just poured concrete on top of the embedded tracks but I assume they put down a layer of something to allow the platform to be smoothly removed when the extension is opened.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-29-2017, 06:33 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM