Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-07-2017, 09:14 PM)Canard Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 09:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I have to say this feels like overcaution to me. The track is a dead end: how could an overheight load get up there? Only by coming up through Waterloo. Nobody is going to accidentally load a large tank (say) from Chemtura on a Schnabel and bring it down through Waterloo.

You say that, but it could happen!  And so, it must be accounted for.  An overheight load would destroy the OCS, as well as pose a huge safety concern.

(08-07-2017, 09:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Still it’s cool to see the equipment going in. Do you have any idea how the detector actually works? I’m guessing it’s some sort of presence detector, rather than “an overheight load will destroy the gantry”.

I too am curious what the sensing technology is.  Hanging horizontal bar with a limit switch?  Through-beam photo sensor?  It has to be robust and able to handle the weather.

Next time I'm driving up there I'll poke around and see if I can't figure out how to get to the existing gantry setup - or bring my 600 mm and just take the same shot from Northfield. Smile

Typically the sensors work on infrared beams. anything that breaks the beams would be a defect. they use the gantry to mount a set of vertical and horizontal sensors to detect overheight and overwidth cars. overheight would hit the OCS; overwidth won't fit in the gauntlet track clearance envelope.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 08-07-2017, 10:56 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM