Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-11-2015, 01:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 01:19 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Trams have traditionally shared the right of way with cars, hence the distinction with LRT.

And yet we see the "Tram only" lane markings in the Aussie video.  But I suppose the shared/dedicated right of way rationale is as good as any. 

I'm pro-LRT and against trams. I lived in cities with and without LRTs and trams, and have seen first hand how well LRTs work and how share right-of-way trams are essentially slow, expensive inflexible buses that are easy to block.

Toronto could make a major impact on traffic at a minimal cost if they were to close King St to anything but local traffic and let the trams run freely there. Presently a tram from Liberty Village to the Distillery district takes about 40 minutes. On a dedicated tram lane it would be around 15min. The majority of the core and its main attractions would be within walking distance of this lane: Union St, AC centre, CN tower, Hockey hall of fame, Bay St, Distillery district, Eaton Centre, Nathan Phillips Square, to name a few.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by BuildingScout - 01-11-2015, 02:03 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM