Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Concrete or Asphalt, some kind of height or side clearance would have to give way in the area directly under the trains. I didn't see how they did it for the Weber one, though I am fairly certain they only opened it after it was done (railings aside).

(07-24-2017, 04:29 PM)Canard Wrote: Given this reply about the timeline for completion of a ~3m section, I'd beg to differ!

In all seriousness - they need to properly fill the earth, grade it, flaten it, build the forms, pour the concrete, let it set, remove the forms, backfill the edges and then do whatever other treatment in the area is required.

That's the bare minimum - and all has to be carried out within the confines of the retaining walls on both sides (embankment/bridge sides, and the retaining wall separating the MUT from the road).

Is this significantly different from any other section of sidewalk? Once a sidewalk paving job begins, it’s typically only a few days until the concrete is set. The parts under the bridge probably don’t even need forms since they’ll probably just pave the entire width of the space.
It is significantly different - there's an overhead restriction, and a width restriction (giant concrete wall, and a delicate retaining wall) on both sides to contend with. And they're not very far along at all. It's lumpy dirt.

My only point is it is a lot of work to do in a short period of time - and traditionally when other places are about this stage, it's many weeks (or months) until the sidewalks are complete.

So! It'll be neat to see them pull it off.
They were starting to grade the path by the Pharmacy building when I walked past today, I'm guessing then, it'll be the west side trail which gets built first, will be interesting to see how it is completed at the north end, since there doesn't seem to be much space there.

I cannot imagine that this will take them that long, all the utilities are done, it just needs to be filled, formed, and poured. It's a lot of work, but I think the biggest slowdowns occur when scheduling and working with other teams, or when unexpected issues arise. When it's just one group, they can just motor along, and since this is all new, there should be no unexpected issues.

Will enjoy walking past this week to see the progress.
(07-24-2017, 06:18 PM)Canard Wrote: My only point is it is a lot of work to do in a short period of time - and traditionally when other places are about this stage, it's many weeks (or months) until the sidewalks are complete.

Elapsed time is indeed typically quite long.  But the amount of work is far shorter.  So I think it's feasible to get it done this week, but it'll require focus!
It'll also be interesting to see how they guide pedestrians. If you're someone at Google wanting to walk downtown for anything, you'd probably just want to walk on the east side of King to get downtown, crossing if necessary at lights that are more plentiful in the core. If there's not good redirection signs to get them there, and a well-thought-out pedestrian crossing cycle at Moore, I expect we will see many pedestrians jaywalking. Similar needs back down at King to put people (or keep them) on the west side as soon as possible, and prevent people from trying to "cut the corner" and walk across the graded Hub site from Waterloo and Victoria with thoughts of getting to the east sidewalk on King more quickly, only to find it's not there and then winding up doing something dangerous to deal with it.
(07-25-2017, 08:11 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It'll also be interesting to see how they guide pedestrians. If you're someone at Google wanting to walk downtown for anything, you'd probably just want to walk on the east side of King to get downtown, crossing if necessary at lights that are more plentiful in the core. If there's not good redirection signs to get them there, and a well-thought-out pedestrian crossing cycle at Moore, I expect we will see many pedestrians jaywalking. Similar needs back down at King to put people (or keep them) on the west side as soon as possible, and prevent people from trying to "cut the corner" and walk across the graded Hub site from Waterloo and Victoria with thoughts of getting to the east sidewalk on King more quickly, only to find it's not there and then winding up doing something dangerous to deal with it.

The east and west sides of King St West?  Wink

(07-25-2017, 08:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 08:11 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It'll also be interesting to see how they guide pedestrians. If you're someone at Google wanting to walk downtown for anything, you'd probably just want to walk on the east side of King to get downtown, crossing if necessary at lights that are more plentiful in the core. If there's not good redirection signs to get them there, and a well-thought-out pedestrian crossing cycle at Moore, I expect we will see many pedestrians jaywalking. Similar needs back down at King to put people (or keep them) on the west side as soon as possible, and prevent people from trying to "cut the corner" and walk across the graded Hub site from Waterloo and Victoria with thoughts of getting to the east sidewalk on King more quickly, only to find it's not there and then winding up doing something dangerous to deal with it.

The east and west sides of King St West?  Wink

Oh Kitchener.

I expect we'll see that too, frankly, when there's no construction vehicles in the way, it won't even be a problem as pedestrians will probably just use the LRT right of way.  I am of course assuming the pedestrian pathway will be finished before LRT trains are running down in Kitchener, but who knows.
Article in the Post about investments along the LRT right of way:

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...-corridor/
I'm hoping that LRT will make areas near the Mill station more attractive for redevelopment. The most obvious target would be the old lumber yard (now Corbett Packaging) on Ottawa St right beside the station - it's quite a large property that extends back deeply from the street. Ernst Landscaping on Mill St would be another possible site, if the family were ever to go out of business. There are also the two old, one storey businesses across Mill from Ernst's that could take midrise buildings.
I always have mixed feelings about these thoughts like "Hopefully business X gets pushed out" or "These houses Y should be demolished for a high-rise". It's not very fair to those who have been there for ages...

I understand that things change but... I guess I just really sympathize with those who have no control and are getting forced to change.
(07-25-2017, 10:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm hoping that LRT will make areas near the Mill station more attractive for redevelopment.  The most obvious target would be the old lumber yard (now Corbett Packaging) on Ottawa St right beside the station - it's quite a large property that extends back deeply from the street.   Ernst Landscaping on Mill St would be another possible site, if the family were ever to go out of business.  There are also the two old, one storey businesses across Mill from Ernst's that could take midrise buildings.

They could also move, instead of going out of business.
(07-25-2017, 10:32 AM)Canard Wrote: I always have mixed feelings about these thoughts like "Hopefully business X gets pushed out" or "These houses Y should be demolished for a high-rise". It's not very fair to those who have been there for ages...

I understand that things change but... I guess I just really sympathize with those who have no control and are getting forced to change.

I don't think I have mixed feelings. Local businesses are good for the economy. Hoping that they are forced to close or move is detrimental.

(07-25-2017, 10:38 AM)timc Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 10:32 AM)Canard Wrote: I always have mixed feelings about these thoughts like "Hopefully business X gets pushed out" or "These houses Y should be demolished for a high-rise". It's not very fair to those who have been there for ages...

I don't think I have mixed feelings. Local businesses are good for the economy. Hoping that they are forced to close or move is detrimental.

Why would moving be bad?  If they're still operating, all their benefits are retained, and their location might be more suitable and more efficient for their business.
(07-25-2017, 10:34 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 10:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm hoping that LRT will make areas near the Mill station more attractive for redevelopment.  The most obvious target would be the old lumber yard (now Corbett Packaging) on Ottawa St right beside the station - it's quite a large property that extends back deeply from the street.   Ernst Landscaping on Mill St would be another possible site, if the family were ever to go out of business.  There are also the two old, one storey businesses across Mill from Ernst's that could take midrise buildings.

They could also move, instead of going out of business.

Yes, that's true, especially if the land value increased enough to make it an attractive proposition.  I think the Ernst's have operated on that site since the 1930s (if not before).  I remember when the big yard beside the house was a commerical flower garden - lovely stuff!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »