Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I remember some comments a while back about the "window" in the station platform walls, and I had found some original plans that showed seating in front of the windows. Well, I see that such seating has now been installed. I took this photo at the Seagram station:

[Image: mErWS2o.jpg]

I also noticed that the crossing at the south end of the platform has asphalt, although I don't think it is open yet.

The middle hoop is a nice touch — people won't roll off in their sleep.
(07-17-2017, 04:25 PM)kps Wrote: The middle hoop is a nice touch — people won't roll off in their sleep.

Big Grin

This is pretty typical at airports as well: keep the seating for people who want to sit, rather than one sleeping person using four seats.
Three of those benches are also in at Frederick (at the wall-window, in the shelter, and bit of a ways up beyond the canopy).
Same at Victoria Park station.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-16-2017, 12:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 12:05 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Regardless of whether the crosswalk is demarcated well (zebra crossing) or not so well (two solid lines), surely we agree that it should be marked? Currently there are no crosswalk markings of any kind at Charles & Gaukel, Water, Francis.

At Charles & Benton, only one of the four crosswalks is marked.  I think there is surely painting still to be done.

Zebra crossings going in this morning on Charles:
Edit: Apologies for the poor image quality ...

Charles/Benton:

Charles/Cedar:

Caroline just south of Erb was closed this morning. Didn't notice if it was the entire intersection or what, but there were significantly more cars on FDB Drive turning south onto Caroline than I was used to on my morning bike to work.

(07-18-2017, 09:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 12:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: At Charles & Benton, only one of the four crosswalks is marked.  I think there is surely painting still to be done.

Zebra crossings going in this morning on Charles:
Edit: Apologies for the poor image quality ...

Charles/Benton:

Charles/Cedar:

Great to see more of this paving treatment along the line! I'm still puzzled as to why Uptown Waterloo didn't get it? King/William and King/Willis in particular. It would look great there.
(07-18-2017, 11:09 AM)chutten Wrote: Caroline just south of Erb was closed this morning. Didn't notice if it was the entire intersection or what, but there were significantly more cars on FDB Drive turning south onto Caroline than I was used to on my morning bike to work.

I was curious about the traffic jam so I walked over, it was completely closed.  Of course, the huge line of traffic is drivers ignoring the road closed sign and being forced to loop back on Dupont to Albert, which is one way, but since King is closed and Bridgeport is one way, traffic was bad.  The road is left physically open for access to the apartments, PI, and Dupont St., but honestly, nobody put even a second thought into signage or detours for this closure, what a poor job of planning.  I don't blame driver for going through, it wasn't at all obvious the entire intersection was shut, and besides, King was the place for signage, once you're at Albert, its' too late.
The fancy crossings are in at the Kitchener Market stop, too! I passed by them on my bike ride to work this morning. Also, the ion and GRT logos were illuminated on both the Kitchener Market and Borden stations, yay!

I still don't see a logic or pattern to the painted parallel lines vs. zebra stripes on the pedestrian crossings. Mike Boos on facebook said that if there is a hand/walk signal, it gets them, and if it's just a stop sign, it doesn't - but that pattern doesn't hold with other intersections now that I have started specifically watching for them.
Maybe some of the signalized ones will be getting zebra stripes later?
Well, I mean other intersections throughout the region, too. They don't match the pattern at all.
I was under the impression the choice of coloured crosswalk vs. zebra crossing vs. simple crosswalk lines was just one of how problematic is the crossing.  The zebra crossing is meant to make the crosswalk more visible, and the coloured crosswalk even moreso (plus there is a decorative aspect as well).  They are used as tools to improve problematic crossings, see for example King and University.

Of course, they often wear away quickly.

Looks like they're getting prepped to pave King out by Northfield. At least I think that's why a lot of manhole covers and other protrusions are painted orange and sticking up 3-4" above grade. Drove by there today and people were swerving like an obstacle course since you could easily bend a wheel or blow a tire if you hit one the wrong way
@embe Slowing down would also be an option Tongue
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »