Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-25-2017, 10:56 PM)timc Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 09:37 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: There should be a shelter specifically for smoking closer to GRH. If GRH won’t get its act together and figure out a way to make it happen

They can't. All hospital grounds in Ontario have to be completely smoke-free by January 1, 2018.

Quote:the transit authority should do it by building a bus shelter that is not particularly close to any bus stop but reasonably conveniently located for the smokers.

I don't even know if this can legally be done. I think that such a shelter would be an enclosed public place, and smoking would have to be prohibited.

If it is important to prohibit smoking in transit shelters, then the law needs to be enforced.

So they should build their shelter just off hospital grounds. For the idea that GRT builds it, I addressed the issue of smoking prohibition by suggesting that the transit enforcement officers would be strictly instructed not to enforce that specific shelter and that no signage would be present in or around that specific shelter. Actually the same provisions would apply to a hospital-owned shelter, on or off the hospital property.

Yes, it’s stupid to depend on selective enforcement, but it’s also stupid to pretend that smokers don’t exist and don’t need to be provided reasonable accommodation. Why should stupidity that is in legislation take precedence over stupidity that works around stupid legislation?

I stand by my suggestions.

I should also point out that I would consider a complaint about people smoking in a purpose-built shelter to be invalid on its face, as unlike the situation with an actual bus shelter or even something like a restaurant patio, the proper and reasonable answer to the complaint is “then don’t go there”.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 06-26-2017, 07:23 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM