Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-21-2017, 09:57 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Your comment about the Toronto Zoo system dredges up a memory for me. It’s vague, so I’m not certain, but I have a recollection of thinking of it as being a monorail when I visited the Zoo in the early 80s. Actually, on thinking about it, I would argue it’s closer to being a monorail than ICTS is — there is a single long structure that supports the train, rather than one on each side as in conventional rail. The main difference is that the train sits in the track rather than around it. Also, the support structure doesn’t have the thin profile I normally associate with monorail. However, I’m happy to be corrected if monorail has a more specific accepted definition.

Probably better to continue this in our other transit thread, but briefly, it's an AGT system - Automated Guideway Transit.  Rubber-tired "people mover" if you will.  Designed and built by Bendix-Dashveyor, it was one of four systems that found homes for trial markets after the Transpo72 expo.
  • Bendix-Dashveyor sold their system to the Toronto Zoo
  • Boeing sold their system to Morgantown (Morgantown PRT)
  • Vought sold their system to DFW Airport (Airtrans)
  • ...not enough coffee to remember the fourth right now, I'm thinking it was Rohr or OTIS

...anyway, I love AGT systems and am happy to discuss them over here till my fingers cramp Smile  When I went to Japan I actually designed my trip route around riding as many of them as I could (they're as common there as LRT systems are in the US).

IN FUN DRAMA NEWS:

...I can't believe it (well, actually I can).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM