Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-04-2017, 09:40 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7288...-near-lrt/

Is it my imagination or does this only conceivably affect a handful of businesses along the entire route? I see this little section on Duke St and maybe the short section on King St in Uptown Waterloo. What are the actual by-laws for patios on public property? All I can find are road setback rules.

This seems a bit weird. The article makes it sound like, once again, paranoia and over-caution is the order of the day. It mentions something about patio structures including metal elements which could be used to reach up to the power supply wires. Well, if somebody is dumb enough to disassemble patio structures, put them together to make a long pole, and reach up and touch the power supply wire, then they were going to kill themselves by some other accidental means at some point and it’s really not reasonably the responsibility of the Region to ensure that they don’t do it on their OCS. There has to be some personal responsibility at some point.

On the other hand, if the actual concern is more like “make sure tall patio stuff doesn’t fall onto the right-of-way or lean over and touch the OCS or blow up into the wires” then that could be a perfectly reasonable thing to be concerned about. However, even in this situation, it should be possible to work it out with individual restaurant operators for this summer.

Another weird thing is the mention of deliveries. Do these addresses now have no proper delivery point? By which I mean a place where a delivery truck can briefly park more or less right next to the business. In general I’m not sympathetic to claims that reducing parking is a problem, but businesses really do depend on delivery trucks being able to make their deliveries conveniently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM