Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
^ I like that idea!!

(And seriously - that is a very likely outcome! Hamilton's vote had better go "Yes" today, too - coz they might get some nice discounted trains as well.)

(04-19-2017, 12:33 PM)Canard Wrote: ^ I like that idea!!

(And seriously - that is a very likely outcome!  Hamilton's vote had better go "Yes" today, too - coz they might get some nice discounted trains as well.)

It's already discounted. The province is footing the entire bill.
(04-19-2017, 12:58 PM)Markster Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 12:33 PM)Canard Wrote: ^ I like that idea!!

(And seriously - that is a very likely outcome!  Hamilton's vote had better go "Yes" today, too - coz they might get some nice discounted trains as well.)

It's already discounted. The province is footing the entire bill.

So if Hamilton decides they don't want LRT, maybe we can take the train sets off their hands at the same price!
(04-19-2017, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 12:58 PM)Markster Wrote: It's already discounted. The province is footing the entire bill.

So if Hamilton decides they don't want LRT, maybe we can take the train sets off their hands at the same price!

Now that is the smartest comment I have read in a long time on here.....  That would be a great  opportunity !!!
Anyone know why Charles and Ontario intersection was closed yesterday?
Queen anchor wall:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-22-2017, 12:15 AM)clasher Wrote: Anyone know why Charles and Ontario intersection was closed yesterday?

There's been work along Charles all week (it was closed at Francis on Monday), but I'm not sure what the work involved.

There is a group from the Region at the Bombardier factory in Kingston today. Tom Galloway is posting a bunch of photos to his twitter feed from various stages of ION vehicle assembly.

https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14
Curb machine onsite at the grade separation
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You know when curb machine arrives at grade separation, the underground and track work are done. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt">@rideIONrt</a> <a href="https://t.co/MWShVjb0JW">pic.twitter.com/MWShVjb0JW</a></p>&mdash; Tom Galloway (@tomjgalloway14) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/status/856592631765315584">April 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
Sidewalks and paving are not far behind, then! Excellent.
(04-22-2017, 12:14 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 12:15 AM)clasher Wrote: Anyone know why Charles and Ontario intersection was closed yesterday?

There's been work along Charles all week (it was closed at Francis on Monday), but I'm not sure what the work involved.

It's closed again today, I couldn't figure out what they were working on but at least there was a gang of workers there today, the other day I rode by it was just closed.
CTV News has a feature tonight about how people are clueless about what the caution signs mean.
(04-21-2017, 10:59 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: So if Hamilton decides they don't want LRT, maybe we can take the train sets off their hands at the same price!

Now that is the smartest comment I have read in a long time on here.....  That would be a great  opportunity !!!

I'm sure that the Cambridge Mayor won't argue with this logic either.

While riding parallel to the rapidway along the Hydro ROW, parallel to Fairway, I noticed a very official-looking break in the fence, complete with graded ballast as if to encourage a crossing!

No photos (some kind of sketchy deal was going on in the parking lot right there and I didn't feel safe stopping). but I'm sure I'll be by again in the next couple of days, and will try again.

A very interesting development - I wonder if this is where the planned crossing will eventually be, so they've just kind of unofficially gone ahead and permitted crossing through, here?
(04-24-2017, 09:15 PM)Canard Wrote: While riding parallel to the rapidway along the Hydro ROW, parallel to Fairway, I noticed a very official-looking break in the fence, complete with graded ballast as if to encourage a crossing!

No photos (some kind of sketchy deal was going on in the parking lot right there and I didn't feel safe stopping). but I'm sure I'll be by again in the next couple of days, and will try again.

A very interesting development - I wonder if this is where the planned crossing will eventually be, so they've just kind of unofficially gone ahead and permitted crossing through, here?

So I'd guess they'd need to put in arms at some point too, to prevent people from crossing. Not that it would stop people from moving up a few metres in either direction, unless they enclose it somehow. Seems like a good and cheap solution to an issue the higher ups never thought of.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »