Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-18-2017, 11:52 AM)Canard Wrote:
Quote:I have no idea what you're talking about with the car.

All I meant was that many months ago, people were driving through "closed" signs and getting their cars hung up on drop-offs.  I was actually biking around Erb/Caroline one time last fall and watched it happen one evening!  And people were posting all kinds of photos, making fun of the "idiot drivers" whenever it was happening - maybe not so much so on here, but on the facebook group and twitter, for sure.  It just seems unfair that there's this huge double-standard thing going on.

I'm really upset about this whole thing and I'm very sorry if I've offended anyone.

Moving up a few levels away from all the details, I think what is challenging about this is that the situation is not, in fact, ethically simple.

It’s very easy to say “never go in a closed site: it’s dangerous and illegal!”. But in real life, many closed sites aren’t really closed, or don’t need to be closed, or don’t look closed. Even sites that are actually for real closed aren’t all dangerous. On top of this, avoiding some sites is easy, while doing so with others imposes a substantial detour, especially to pedestrians and to a lesser extent bicycles.

So moving back down to the details, everybody was laughing at the cars that got stuck because we had these people in nice climate-conditioned mobility enhancement devices too impatient to turn around and go back, or even check on conditions before proceeding. The pedestrians in the picture, by contrast, are apparently doing nothing dangerous, and it seems to turn out that the site isn’t even clearly signed as closed, so what is the complaint, other than just “they aren’t following the rules” disconnected from any actual or likely harm to anybody?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM