Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-14-2017, 07:02 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 02:31 PM)kps Wrote: The latest word is that paving will be complete in late July. Work on sidewalks will start in a week or two. I don't know whether the sidewalks will be opened when they're done; personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don't be surprised if people make full use of the sidewalks as soon as they are in, especially evenings/weekends with no workers around.

Well, once the sidewalks are in there is no good reason for people not to go through, assuming there aren’t construction crews around. Once they’re walking on the final surface intended for people to walk on, who cares what is still happening in the middle of the street? Even if there is a big hole beside the sidewalk, that’s not really any more dangerous than the traffic that will be rushing through once the project is done.

One thing I’ve noticed we’re not very good at is opening crucial portions of a site while work continues on the rest of the site. If the site is a blob that can be walked around, this doesn’t matter, but if the site is blocking an important traffic route, it can significantly reduce the impact of the construction during a sometimes-lengthy period during which the overall project is nearly done, or at least looks nearly done, but there is still a lot of work to do before it really is completely done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 04-14-2017, 09:07 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM