Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-30-2017, 03:39 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 01:51 PM)Markster Wrote: I'm mostly referring to the "gauntlet" of the platform itself, not the gauntlet tracks.
I'm going to be walking my bike through there just as much as I get out and push my car.

That's a cute analogy, except nobody is driving their car along the platform mowing down people waiting, and risking driving off the edge of said platform into an oncoming train (and scaring the shit out of the LRV operator).

I dunno, for me it's as much about safety as the optics of showing folks that cyclists can be courteous and respectful of others in tight quarters.

I've seen signs in other cities expressly prohibiting cycling on Light Rail platforms (usually not a problem in subways, so there aren't signs - but LRT is very accessible, so it's more of a potential issue).

Sidebar: Last night was the first time I finally managed to cycle the entire LRT route, from head to tail - 37 km in all! Figuring out how to get down to Fairway (safely and comfortably) was the last hurdle for me.

I think what Markster is getting at here is that the people on bikes who are not dismounting are not the ones getting on the train, but using the designated trail crossing to continue along the trail they are on. They'd be crossing perpendicular to the track, not using the platform as a cycling trail paralell to the track.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by dunkalunk - 03-30-2017, 07:54 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM