Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-29-2017, 02:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 02:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’ve never understood this. The contamination is bad enough that it must be cleaned up if anything is done with the site, but not bad enough that it can’t just sit there indefinitely. What’s wrong with pouring a concrete pad on top of the existing ground and dropping the TPSS on the pad? Or, if that’s not OK, how is it OK to just leave the contamination there?

I find this frustrating as well.  The region/city should just have forced it to be cleaned up, or covered the cost.  Although, I feel like for a TPSS they maybe should have been able to get away without doing it.  Regardless, leaving it as a contaminated site doesn't seem like a long term solution.

Does anyone know where that contamination would have come from anyway?  Is it just from the railway?

Keep in mind that, in addition to the rail line, that area was historically lined with manufacturing industries for over a century.  I suspect that if you were able to find land down that way that ISN'T contaminated, you'd be eligible for some sort of a prize.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by panamaniac - 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM