Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-28-2017, 02:21 PM)boatracer Wrote: A note on backup power for the Eglinton Cross Town LRT.  They will be creating a battery based system instead of natural gas generators.  Will be able to power the system for up to 4 hours.

http://renewcanada.net/2017/eglinton-cro...y-back-up/

I don't think our system has any backup power.  I guess if power goes out and there is a vehicle stuck in an intersection they would dispatch equipment to tow it to a safe place.  The Eglinton line has a lot of underground areas making backup power more of a necessity.

Per the project document on the region's site (http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...eement.asp), each Traction Power Substation (TPSS) has two independent 13.8 kV AC feeders from the grid so there is redundancy in the supply.  The DC system is designed so that even if a TPSS goes down, it's neighbours can handle the maximum load while still delivering the minimum required DC voltage to an "ultimate train" (two five-module Ion vehicles coupled) that's loaded to capacity:

Schedule 15-2 Article 6 Section 6.4 (ii) A. Wrote:Under contingency conditions of one substation out of service, one ultimate train should be able to start at any passenger station in the affected area and maintain its rated acceleration as if the system was operating with all substations on-line. However, under these same conditions, two ultimate trains shall be able to start simultaneously at a reduced acceleration and operating level. Under these operating conditions the TES [Traction Electrification System] design shall be shown to operate successfully within the required design parameters and the voltage at the trains shall not fall below 525 Vdc.

I know that the Ion vehicles have some battery capacity, but my understanding based on conversations with staff during the last OMSF open house was that it was for the purpose of maintaining signalling and communications only.  Of course I would love to be wrong!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by KevinT - 03-28-2017, 03:13 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM