Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
There was a big hole next to the UW station when I went past last night.

(03-24-2017, 12:54 PM)timc Wrote: There was a big hole next to the UW station when I went past last night.

I saw some drilling into the path between the Silver Lake bridge and the flagpole on the PI side this morning around 11.
Gah, I wonder what they're up to?  So strange that all of a sudden in multiple locations they start digging/jackahammering a bunch of finished infra... on a Friday?  Usually when something like this happens, it starts on a Monday - probably how they have it blocked out on their Gantt Chart or whatever.   Crew X starts here for Week 105-108, etc...

So, it looks like I'm wrong on my naming convention for the modules on our LRV's. It's a fair bit different:

So, using this nomenclature it's either Modules A-D-C and then E-B that have yaw only, and the interface between C-E is what has pitch as well (and maybe some roll?). Or the other way around, A-D/B-E-C. Huh I don't like that! I guess if you were going to build a 3, or a 5, or a 7 module variant, that's how you'd name it... you always have an A, a B, and a C... and then you add a D and an E if you have 5 modules, and add a further F and G if you have 7 (Edmonton's Valley Line trains will be 7).

I'm also further guessing that maybe the TTC FLEXITY Outlooks just had A-B-C-D-E from the nose to tail that I saw in the manuals since they're unidirectional and a one-off custom product for Toronto...

(Also: that is not a very pretty HMI!)
Shoot, I forgot to mention it in my earlier update, but will add it in here because there was a lot of talk about it many pages ago: A sidewalk is going in on the South side of Courtland - at the very least, between Shelley and Block Line.
Anchor walls are up at the transit hub stations, and the track tents are up for the southbound track all the way to Victoria. Tried to take a pic last night, but was too dark out!
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that one of the gates for the pedestrian crossing on the south west corner of erb and Caroline is in the wrong place? Too far west where the crosswalk lines used to be painted.
The tarps are off the Uptown platform. There are some large wooden boxes sitting on it, not sure what's in them.

(03-16-2017, 03:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: The reliable website Transit Toronto has just posted a comprehensive article on rail transit in our Region, from the early horse-drawn days up to the planned completion of Ion. Some of our community helped out, as well.

A HISTORY OF ELECTRIC TRANSIT IN WATERLOO REGION, INCLUDING THE ION LRT

The "predictive future history" of some automobiles and our 2018 ION LRT #wrLRT  ...  car driver education was needed then and is needed now. 

"Street railway accident on King Street East, Kitchener, Ontario circa 1944
A collision between an automobile and Kitchener Public Utilities streetcar near the corner of Doehn Street and King Street East, Kitchener, Ontario"

Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge "Tri-Cities" - Things Past & Present

[Image: pOQLjkL.jpg]
Happened to be at Breithaupt and Waterloo today and got a look at the lay of the land with the TPSS in place.

[Image: EeWdjIp.jpg]

[Image: N1qzjUP.jpg]
(03-26-2017, 07:15 PM)KevinL Wrote: Happened to be at Breithaupt and Waterloo today and got a look at the lay of the land with the TPSS in place.

[Image: EeWdjIp.jpg]
Lol, almost looks like a yellow excavator but obviously scale is way off
It's actually rail maintenance equipment on the mainline, yeah.
I think he was referring to the soil compactor thingy in the foreground next to the TPSS, which does indeed kind of look like an excavator.
(03-26-2017, 07:00 PM)MacBerry Wrote: A collision between an automobile and Kitchener Public Utilities streetcar near the corner of Doehn Street and King Street East, Kitchener, Ontario

I had to look up Doehn Street. I found out it was renamed to Dane Street in 1951. And I couldn't even remember where Dane Street was (it is between Stirling and Borden)!

By the way, this list has some really neat information. I would love to see some old maps with these streets on it. I'm particularly fascinated by Block Line Road, which was a boundary between tracts of native land, and parts of which make up the current Fairway Road, Hidden Valley Road, and Cameo Drive. If you look at a map, it's clear that there is a straight alignment of those roads, but I had no idea.

From CBC Kitchener-Waterloo
Quote:New LRT road signs to be explained at April open house

Signs for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians popping up in advance of LRT testing

The Region of Waterloo is posting new road signs around town in advance of Grandlinq's plans to test the first light rail transit vehicle on the rails in late spring.

"A lot of times, motorists, pedestrians and cyclists tend to, you know... you sometimes miss new signs," said Brendon Simon, project engineer with the Region of Waterloo's ION team. "It's important that we start taking a look at the new signage that's up there."

He said the most important signs for motorists are yellow diamond caution signs that warn of LRT tracks either running alongside or crossing a roadway.

Another important sign hangs above intersections and lights up when an LRT vehicle is passing through, warning motorists that they are not allowed to turn either left or right.

(Read More)
Is it just me, or does this look... weirdly photoshopped?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CAUTION: LRVs doing sick wheelies at this intersection<a href="https://t.co/A68KBLZ2eE">https://t.co/A68KBLZ2eE</a> <a href="https://t.co/jQMw1KDJ9l">pic.twitter.com/jQMw1KDJ9l</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/846362241222021120">March 27, 2017</a></blockquote>
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »