Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-11-2017, 10:40 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It’s probably cheaper to operate a snow-melt system than it is to pay for salting even without accounting for the environmental impact of salt, and its destructive impact on the infrastructure. Probably the hydro to operate a system is cheaper than the labour of spreading salt.

For reference, these systems consume less than 50 watts per square foot, but are not continuously on- they have a snow sensor (which consumes very minimal power) that starts them up when there is actual snow cover. I have no idea how many hours a day they would need to operate in Waterloo Region, but it is not 24. Less than a kWh a day (likely a lot less) to keep each square foot of all of our 19 stations clear during winter would not be expensive compared to the cost of shoveling and salting the platforms, and probably more effective.

I think these systems could probably be justified even at high-volume bus stops, and I agree with danbrotherston that it’s a false economy not to invest in them, probably motivated by optics more than sober calculations.

I was idly wondering to myself how much it would cost to install them in strategic locations. I was thinking busy intersections, or just near the curb to eliminate the slushy mess pedestrians have to cross to get into the street. It was just idle wondering so not really a proposal. I understand a whole-driveway system is quite expensive, so presumably a whole intersection would be pricey as well, but just the area near the curb might be relatively reasonable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM