Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-11-2017, 10:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 09:51 PM)YKF Wrote: Thanks for the responses re: radiant heating for the platforms, or lack thereof.  It's too bad that salt, rather than a radiant heating system will be used to keep the platforms free of ice, given the Region's progressiveness around cutting down on salt usage.  Would've added to the budget?

Given the cost of hydro in Ontario, radiant heating in the platforms would strike me as a rather "gold plated" design element in what is in most respects a somewhat bare bones project.

I'm entirely sure it's the type of thing that people would point to and complain about "gold plated".  But it's not clear that a radiant heat system wouldn't be a better/cheaper option in the long run when considering the cost of salt, damage to infrastructure from salt, damage to the environment from salt, the imperfectness of salt leading to ice, leading to liability from lawsuits.  But regardless of whether it was financially justified, I figure people would still complain about us elites and our electrically heated gold plated snow removal platforms.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM