Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-04-2017, 01:27 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I'd just apply a logical exercise. I may dislike it if someone puts something under my windshield wiper. I also understand that if I park illegally and get a ticket or a warning, I'm definitely in the wrong, and will get something under there, and quite deservedly. If someone saw another car hitting mine and left a note with witness contact information, I'd be more appreciative of that than a surprise broken light and no idea where to go. So if you park on the tramway, you're already inviting a very legitimate interference with your wiper (let alone a tow truck), so public notices like yours shouldn't be a surprise, especially since they don't come with the fine of the ones bylaw would deliver. That said, practice the obvious: don't abuse the wiper, lift gently, from the arm hinge point, and lower it back down gently.

OK, Former by-law officer reporting for duty! Smile   First and foremost, 99.99999% of people who know they were parking in the wrong will NOT feel anything placed under their windshield was done so deservedly.  I've worked many law enforcement jobs, and by-law was where I was assaulted the majority of times!  (We) feel empowered as drivers to have the "right" to do whatever we want with our automobiles, and don't appreciate being told otherwise.  The cyclists/pedestrians on the board will agree with me I'm sure.  [I am at most times an auto driver as well, I can see my faults and will own up to them!  I am NOT car bashing!]

Anyway, since we (meter maids) are so hated, I guarantee that if you got a ticket, we will have never touched your wiper blade [Unless it was frozen to the windshield].  A folded ticket slid at the bottom of the "U" will glide nicely under the blade, and I will not have to deal with the complaint of "I have no problem paying the $20 ticket, but I want $50 for new wipers" argument.  I'm sure the flyer stuffers do the same thing to avoid any liability.  I'd cringe if I ever saw anyone lifting blade arms, even gently.

Back on topic... a warning letter will do very little to nothing.  For enforcement to work, you need punitive damage [Fines] and threats work to a degree (ie. TOW AWAY ZONE... but if no one is ever towed, the threat is useless).  While it may make bystanders happy to see a vehicle towed, and the driver has the inconvenience of having to go pick up a car at a different location, it doesn't necessarily ensure compliance in the future.  Towing is to open an immediate need [ie Rush Hour traffic lane, LRT tracks when in operation, Fire Route, Snow Clearing, etc.]  To tow (off a city street) just to punish is not an acceptable practice anywhere that I am aware of.  Furthermore on towing, the city by-laws here in the region have set fines attached.  Tows are not part of the process.  If a vehicle is to be towed, it is at the expense of the requestor.  [ie. Property owner needs their spot back, they can elect to pay for a tow to have the vehicle removed.  When I towed from city streets here, it was at the city's expense to permit snow clearing / clear road access for safety].  (This is obviously different from the rules in places like Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton where towing is a part of the parking by-law, and set rates allowed to be charged, and liens placed on the vehicle until tow bill is paid)

Lastly to round out my XL post, all Regional parking by-laws were enforced by the city by-law officers when I worked there... so in the case of the Tannery (or the 5 cars on the tracks in front of the Duke Food Block I saw this morning), contact CoK and complain to them.  The No Parking signs posted will be sufficient for them to tag under the Region's by-law.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Coke6pk - 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM